Solve Series Resistor Problems: 7, 11 & 13

K.In summary, for problem 7, the total resistance in the series circuit is 5 + R ohms, where R is the unknown resistance. The total current in the circuit is 0.64 A, and using Ohm's law, R can be solved for by dividing 6.0 V by 0.64 A.For problem 11, the current in the 6.1 ohm resistor can be calculated by using Ohm's law again. The total resistance in the circuit is 8.1 + 6.5 + 4.0 + 6.1 = 24.7 ohms. Then, the current in the 6.1 ohm resistor is 6.
mustang
Problem 7.
A(n) 5.0 ohm resistor is connected in series with another resistor and a 6.0 V battery. The current in the circuit is 0.64A.
Calculate the value of the unkonwn resistance. Answer in ohms.
Note: I don't how to slove this problem.

Problem 11.
A 6.0V battery is connected to four resitors, 8.1ohm, 6.5ohm, 4.0ohm, 6.1ohm. Calculate the current in the 6.1 ohm resistor. Answer in A.

Problem 13.
A(n) 3.2 ohm resistor, a(n) 7.0 ohm resistor, and a(n) 14.1 ohm resistor are connected in parallel across a 24.0 V battery.
What is the current in the 3.2 ohm resistor? Answer in A.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with problem 7. When you wire resistors in series, their resistances add. Thus the total resistance in the circuit is 5 + R ohms, where R is the unknown resistance. Ohm's law indicates the total current in the circuit must be 6.0 V / (5 + R) ohms = 0.64 A.

Solve for R.

- Warren

To solve these series resistor problems, we can use Ohm's Law which states that the current (I) in a circuit is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R), or I = V/R. We can also use the formula for total resistance in a series circuit, which is Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..., where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit.

Problem 7:
In this problem, we are given the value of one resistor (5.0 ohms), the voltage of the battery (6.0 V), and the current in the circuit (0.64 A). We can use Ohm's Law to solve for the unknown resistance:
R = V/I = 6.0 V/0.64 A = 9.375 ohms.
Therefore, the unknown resistance is 9.375 ohms.

Problem 11:
In this problem, we are given the voltage of the battery (6.0 V) and the values of four resistors (8.1 ohms, 6.5 ohms, 4.0 ohms, and 6.1 ohms). To find the current in the 6.1 ohm resistor, we first need to find the total resistance of the circuit:
Rtotal = 8.1 ohms + 6.5 ohms + 4.0 ohms + 6.1 ohms = 24.7 ohms.
Now, we can use Ohm's Law to solve for the current in the 6.1 ohm resistor:
I = V/R = 6.0 V/24.7 ohms = 0.243 A.
Therefore, the current in the 6.1 ohm resistor is 0.243 A.

Problem 13:
In this problem, we are given the values of three resistors (3.2 ohms, 7.0 ohms, and 14.1 ohms), the voltage of the battery (24.0 V), and the fact that they are connected in parallel. To find the current in the 3.2 ohm resistor, we can use the formula for total resistance in a parallel circuit:
1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...
1/Rtotal = 1/3.2 oh

Related to Solve Series Resistor Problems: 7, 11 & 13

1. Can you explain the concept of series resistors?

Series resistors are resistors that are connected end-to-end in a circuit, with no other components in between. This means that the current flowing through one resistor will also flow through the others, creating a sequential path for the electrical current to follow.

2. How do you calculate the total resistance of a series circuit?

The total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of all the individual resistances. In the case of three resistors with values of 7, 11, and 13 ohms, the total resistance would be 31 ohms (7 + 11 + 13 = 31).

3. What is the equation for calculating the current in a series circuit?

The equation for calculating current in a series circuit is Ohm's Law (I = V/R), where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the total resistance in ohms. In this case, we would use the total resistance of 31 ohms and the given voltage to solve for the current.

4. How do you find the voltage drop across each resistor in a series circuit?

The voltage drop across each resistor in a series circuit is directly proportional to its resistance. This means that the larger the resistance, the larger the voltage drop. To find the voltage drop across each resistor, you can use the equation V = IR, where V is the voltage drop, I is the current, and R is the resistance of the specific resistor.

5. Can you provide an example of solving a series resistor problem?

Sure, let's say we have a series circuit with a 12-volt battery and three resistors with values of 7, 11, and 13 ohms. To find the current in the circuit, we would first calculate the total resistance: 7 + 11 + 13 = 31 ohms. Then, we can use Ohm's Law to find the current: I = V/R = 12/31 = 0.387 amps. To find the voltage drop across each resistor, we would use the equation V = IR for each resistor, resulting in voltage drops of 2.709 volts, 4.257 volts, and 5.613 volts, respectively.