Can you solve a series circuit problem with 3 resistors and a 24V battery?

In summary, a circuit with 3 resistors in series and a 24.0 V battery has a current of 32.0 mA. With 2 resistors at 250.0 Ω and 150.0 Ω, the third resistor is calculated to be 350 Ω. To find the voltage drop across each resistor, you can use Ohm's Law (V=IR), where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. The sum of the resistor voltages must equal 24V, so you can determine the individual voltages by applying Ohm's Law.
camel-man
1.A circuit consists of 3 resistors connected in series to a 24.0 V battery. The current in the circuit is 32.0 mA. If 2 of the resistors are 250.0  and 150.0 ,

find the value of the third resistor.

find the potential difference across each resistor.

2. R=V/I3. I calculated the third resistor to be 350 ohms

I am confused on what this means "find the potential difference across each resistor."

What equation do I use for this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know the current through each resistor and you know the resistance for each.
You need the voltage. What equation would you use?

Use the term "voltage drop" instead of potential difference, and you'll have the answer. :)

nasu said:
You know the current through each resistor and you know the resistance for each.
You need the voltage. What equation would you use?

Isn't the voltage given though at 24 v?

camel-man said:
Isn't the voltage given though at 24 v?
Yes, so when you sum the three resistor voltages the result must equal 24V. Determine the separate resistor voltages. Apply Ohm's Law.

Related to Can you solve a series circuit problem with 3 resistors and a 24V battery?

What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which all of the components are connected in a single loop, with the same amount of current flowing through each component.

What are the components of a series circuit?

The components of a series circuit include a power source, such as a battery, and one or more resistors, which are used to control the flow of current through the circuit.

How do you calculate the total resistance of a series circuit?

To calculate the total resistance of a series circuit, you simply add up the individual resistances of each component. This is known as the "resistors in series" formula, which states that the total resistance (Rt) is equal to the sum of the individual resistances (R1, R2, etc.): Rt = R1 + R2 + ...

What happens to the current when components are added to a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the current remains constant throughout the circuit. This means that when components are added, the total resistance increases, which results in a decrease in the overall current flow through the circuit.

What are some common problems with series circuits?

Some common problems with series circuits include voltage drops, which can lead to dimming or malfunctioning of connected devices, as well as circuit failures due to a single component breaking or becoming disconnected.