Solve Scalar Product Problem in Set R of Functions [0,1]

In summary, we encountered a peculiarity while trying to answer a question about a set of functions defined on the interval [0,1]. We defined addition and multiplication of elements in the set in the ordinary way and a scalar product using a sum of the function values at specific points. However, we found that the ordering of these points can cause issues and may not be well-defined for some functions. We managed to simplify the problem by considering a specific scalar product definition and using the concept of absolute convergence. This shows that the set of functions is a Euclidean space.
Gear300
Alright, so we ran into a peculiarity in answering this question.

Let R be the set of all functions f defined on the interval [0,1] such that -

(1) f(t) is nonzero at no more than countably many points t1, t2, . . .
(2) Σi = 1 to ∞ f2(ti) < ∞ .

Define addition of elements and multiplication of elements by scalars in the ordinary way, i.e., (f + g)(t) = f(t) + g(t), (αf)(t) = αf(t). If f and g are two elements of R, nonzero only at the points t1, t2, . . . and t'1, t'2, . . . respectively, define the scalar product of f and g as

(3) (f,g) = Σi,j = 1 to ∞ f(ti)g(t'j) .

Prove that this scalar product makes R into a Euclidean space.

By the looks of it, (3) is not referring to a sum across all pairs (i,j), since that may induce (absolute) convergence issues for certain elements in the set, where it might not be possible for them to have a finite norm. So we figured that the sum (3) is such that i and j run in parallel across Z+, like it would be in l2.
The peculiarity we found next is in the ordering of the countable domain of points with non-zero image. It may not be well-ordered for some functions, and even if you were to assume only well-ordered domains, there can be several different countable orderings (given that the sums of functions are included). One possibility we considered is if f has smaller ordering than g, we can generalize the sum (3) so that it only goes up to the ordering of f (like we would if f had a finite domain and g had a countable domain). But even so, the list of plausible orderings goes a long way in [0,1], and then there is a problem with resolving one of the properties of the scalar product:

(iv) (f , g+h) = (f , g) + (f , h)

Typically, proving (iv) would involve showing that (f , g+h) remains absolutely convergent. But the problem is how to consider the domain of g+h in the left expression as opposed to the individual domains of g and h in the right expression. In any case, we're stuck.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Where does the question come from? The scalar product doesn't seem to make sense.
What I could imagine is $$(f,g) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} f(s_k) g(s_k)$$ where the sk are the union of ti and t'i. Or the intersection, doesn't make a difference here.

So for completion, we have managed to prune the problem statement to something doable. Altogether, it works when considering mfb's statement of the scalar product -

mfb said:
What I could imagine is $$(f,g) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} f(s_k) g(s_k)$$ where the sk are the union of ti and t'i. Or the intersection, doesn't make a difference here.

- which is the intuitive way of looking that things, since that is how the scalar product in C2[a,b] behaves. The general idea is that -

Gear300 said:
(2) Σi = 1 to ∞ f2(ti) < ∞ .

- is an instance of absolute convergence, where absolute convergence implies unconditional convergence. Then by http://math.uga.edu/%7Epete/3100supp.pdf, Chapter 2 . Section 9 . pg 89 . Theorem 2.52:

For a : NR an ordinary sequence and A ∈ R, the following are equivalent:
i. The unordered sum Σn ∈ Z+ an is convergent, with sum A.
ii. The series Σn = 0 to ∞ an is unconditionally convergent, with sum A.

So given any countable (un)ordering of points of non-zero image, so long as there exists a reordering ω that is absolutely convergent, then everything should fit together.

Last edited:

Related to Solve Scalar Product Problem in Set R of Functions [0,1]

1. What is a scalar product?

A scalar product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar (a single number) as a result. It is also known as an inner product or dot product.

2. How is the scalar product calculated?

The scalar product of two vectors is calculated by multiplying their corresponding components and then adding the products together. For example, if vector A is represented as (a1, a2, a3) and vector B is represented as (b1, b2, b3), then the scalar product of A and B would be a1b1 + a2b2 + a3b3.

3. What is the purpose of solving scalar product problems in set R of functions [0,1]?

The set R of functions [0,1] is a set of functions defined on the interval [0,1], which is often used in mathematical analysis. Solving scalar product problems in this set can help us understand the relationships between different functions and how they behave on this interval.

4. What are some real-world applications of scalar product?

Scalar product has many applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, it is used to calculate work done by a force, to determine the angle between two vectors, and to find the projection of one vector onto another.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for scalar product problems?

Practice is key to improving problem-solving skills for scalar product problems. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of vector operations and properties, as well as familiarity with the set R of functions [0,1] and its properties.