Solve Relativistic Doppler Effect for Wavelengths of Lights

In summary, the two lights have the same wavelength when viewed from a stationary observer, but when the spaceship is moving away, the front light has a shorter wavelength than the back light.
Niles

Homework Statement

I am told that to a stationary observer, the lights infront of a spaceship has the wavelength = 480 nm when it arrives, and the lights in the back have wavelength 640 nm when the ship is moving away. Both lights (front and back) are the same.

I have to find the wavelength of the two lights.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to use T = T_0 * (1+w/c)/sqrt(1-w^2/c^2) and from there use T-T_1 ... so the w's would go out, but they don't.

When the spaceship is arriving, the speed is v - when it is moving away, it is -v. From there, I tried the above.

How do I find the wavelengths? (I have to calculate relativistic).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it possible to find it without using the velocity? (Because I am not told what it is)

Another thing, related to my first post, is: When the spaceship is arriving and the light is being sent forward - is there any change from that between when the spaceship is moving forward and the light is being emitted backwards?

Niles said:
I have tried to use T = T_0 * (1+w/c)/sqrt(1-w^2/c^2) and from there use T-T_1 ... so the w's would go out, but they don't.
This is an equation for period, which is 1/f. Express this in terms of wavelength by using [itex]\lambda = c/f = cT[/itex].

Now write both equations: one for an approaching source and one for a receding source.

Niles said:
Is it possible to find it without using the velocity? (Because I am not told what it is)
By combining the two equations, you'll be able to eliminate the velocity and solve for the source wavelength.

Niles said:
Another thing, related to my first post, is: When the spaceship is arriving and the light is being sent forward - is there any change from that between when the spaceship is moving forward and the light is being emitted backwards?
Nothing that's not already contained in the formula.

Hmm, it seems easier to solve for v first, and then for lambda?

If you combine the two equations correctly, you won't need to solve for v.

I have:

1) lamdba/480 = (1 + v/c)/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

2) lamdba/640 = (1 - v/c)/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

I isolated lamdbda, and inserted and found v. But I think I am meant to go the other way? Although it seems much harder

Niles said:
I have:

1) lamdba/480 = (1 + v/c)/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

2) lamdba/640 = (1 - v/c)/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
Good.

I isolated lamdbda, and inserted and found v. But I think I am meant to go the other way? Although it seems much harder
Not sure what you mean. If you mean to solve for v, then plug it into the other equation to get lamdba... WAY too hard.

Hint: Think of clever ways of combining these two equations. (Think of the basic math operations.)

Doc Al said:
Good.

Not sure what you mean. If you mean to solve for v, then plug it into the other equation to get lamdba... WAY too hard.

:smile:

I can add them, so the v/c-part goes out, but the squareroot in the nominator can't? I tried subtracting, but that gave 2v/c, which doesn't seem much better.

Good! So addition and subtraction don't seem to help. What's next? :wink:

Ahh.. thanks Doc! :smile:

Related to Solve Relativistic Doppler Effect for Wavelengths of Lights

What is the Relativistic Doppler Effect?

The Relativistic Doppler Effect is a phenomenon in which the wavelength of light is affected by the relative motion between the source of the light and the observer.

How does the Relativistic Doppler Effect impact the wavelength of light?

The wavelength of light will appear shorter when the source is moving towards the observer and longer when the source is moving away from the observer. This is known as blue shift and red shift, respectively.

What is the formula for calculating the Relativistic Doppler Effect?

The formula is: λ' = λ₀(1 ± v/c) where λ' is the observed wavelength, λ₀ is the rest wavelength, v is the relative velocity between the source and observer, and c is the speed of light.

How does the speed of the source or observer impact the Relativistic Doppler Effect?

The greater the relative speed between the source and observer, the greater the impact on the wavelength of light. At very high speeds approaching the speed of light, the effect becomes more significant.

What are some practical applications of the Relativistic Doppler Effect?

The Relativistic Doppler Effect is used in various fields such as astronomy, cosmology, and remote sensing. It is also important in understanding the behavior of particles in accelerators and in the study of relativity.