Solve Reimann Curvature: Diff Geom Tips for Computing 256 Components

In summary: 21 is definitely in the text, it's just a bit hazy where it came from. 21 is definitely in the text, it's just a bit hazy where it came from.
Kevin McHugh
Should I post in Diff Geometry? I searched that forum, and did not see what I was looking for. I want to compute all 256 components of the curvature tensor. Do I start with the equation of geodesic deviation in component form, or can I go straight to the definition of the components in terms of connection coefficients? What are the first steps to embarking on this adventure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kevin McHugh said:
Should I post in Diff Geometry? I searched that forum, and did not see what I was looking for. I want to compute all 256 components of the curvature tensor. Do I start with the equation of geodesic deviation in component form, or can I go straight to the definition of the components in terms of connection coefficients? What are the first steps to embarking on this adventure?

When you say "compute", do you mean, to come up with numerical values, as opposed to symbolic expressions? The actual numerical value for the components will depend on which geometry you are starting from.

As to that number, 256, that's an over-estimate. Many of the components are equal, because of symmetries. There are only 20 independent components.

Kevin McHugh said:

Many of the components are zero. I think there's only about 21 unique non-zero components buried in the mass of 256.

If you want to do it by hand, I'd recommend looking at Wald's "General Relativity" section 3.4, pg 47, "Methods for computing curvature". There's a straightforward section on how to do it in a component basis, and a discussion of a much easier to carry-out method based on curvature two-forms which is unfortunately less straightforward :(, even though it may be less work in the long run.

However, if you just want the answers, I'd suggest using a program like Maxima (which is free). There are some guides to the unfortunately not-quite-trivial matter of making Maxima's notation mach the notation in GR textbooks. This guide is written by Chris Hillman here on PF. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/brs-using-maxima-for-gtr-computations.378991/

The Bel decomposition might also help in sorting out the vast number of components of the Riemann into something more useable and physically meaningful. Wiki's description of it is unfortunately too terse to be really useful, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bel_decomposition. There's a section on it in MTW but I don't recall exactly where it's buried, and it's not named as the Bel decomposisiton. Look for the keywords "electrogravitic tensor", though, if you want to hunt it down.

Wikki's description of the Bel decomposition does illustrate how one can reduce the 256 element Riemann into 3 16 element tensors based on a time-like congruence that can be taken as representing an observer. The three tensors in the GR decomposition are the electrogravic tensor, the magnetogravitic tensor, and the topogravitic tensor. (Some non-GR applications might have 4 tensors in the decomposition). The total number of components is greatly reduced, the size of each component is much better, and the physical meaning is a lot clearer, too. jIf you look at a stationary observer in a Schwarzschild metric, you can get a result as simple as an electrogravitic tensor which is numerically equal to the topogravitic tensor, and a zero magnetogravitic tensor. There are only 3-4 nonzero compoents in the electrogravitic (and numerically equal topogravitic) tensor, and the former can be readily physically interpreted as tidal forces.

pervect said:
I think there's only about 21 unique non-zero components buried in the mass of 256.

It's actually 20, as stevendaryl said.

PeterDonis said:
It's actually 20, as stevendaryl said.

Unless there is a typo in MTW, it should be 21 components. I believe only 20 of themn are independent as Steve said, however. But if you want to write all of the components down on paper, I believe there's 21 of them. See MTW pg 348 "He [Cartan] went on to package the 21 components of ##R_{\mu\nu\alpha\beta}## into six curvature two-forms." I'm a bit hazy on the constraint, I think it was one of the Bianchi identities. As I recall you can only independently specify 20 of the 21 components, when you do that, the identity sets the value of the last component.

pervect said:
Unless there is a typo in MTW, it should be 21 components.

I'll have to check my copy when I get a chance; I don't remember where the 21 came from.

Related to Solve Reimann Curvature: Diff Geom Tips for Computing 256 Components

1. What is Riemann curvature and why is it important in differential geometry?

Riemann curvature is a measure of how curved a surface or space is at a specific point. In differential geometry, it is used to describe the shape of a space and is important in understanding the behavior of objects moving through that space. It is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of general relativity and plays a crucial role in modern physics and cosmology.

2. How is Riemann curvature computed in differential geometry?

In differential geometry, Riemann curvature is computed using a mathematical formula called the Riemann curvature tensor. This tensor is made up of 256 components, which can be calculated using specific equations and techniques. The resulting values represent the curvature at each point in a given space.

3. Why are there 256 components in the Riemann curvature tensor?

The Riemann curvature tensor has 256 components because it is a 4-dimensional object that describes the curvature of a 4-dimensional space. In order to fully describe the curvature at every point in this space, 256 components are needed. This number may vary depending on the dimensionality of the space being studied.

4. How can I use differential geometry to solve for Riemann curvature?

To solve for Riemann curvature, you will need to have a strong understanding of differential geometry and the necessary mathematical tools and techniques. This includes knowledge of tensors, differential forms, and differential equations. It is recommended to seek guidance from a mentor or study advanced textbooks in order to effectively solve for Riemann curvature.

5. What are some tips for computing the 256 components of the Riemann curvature tensor?

Computing the 256 components of the Riemann curvature tensor can be a complex and time-consuming task. Some tips for effectively computing these components include understanding the underlying mathematical concepts, using appropriate software and programming languages, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in linear algebra and differential calculus. Practice and patience are key in successfully computing the Riemann curvature tensor.