Solve Predicate Logic Homework Equations

In summary, the conversation is about two statements involving the use of universal and existential quantifiers, and an implication. The first statement states that for all real numbers, there exists another real number such that their product is 1, and this statement is true. The second statement states that there exists a real number y, such that any real number and y will have a product of 1, and this statement is false. The conversation then moves on to a new topic, where the speaker asks for clarification on what the question is.
.~!@#

Homework Statement

1) (∀xεℝ)((x≠0)→((∃yεℝ)(xy=1)

2) (∃yεℝ)(∀xεℝ)((x≠0)→(xy=1))

Homework Equations

∃ - there exists
∀ - for all
→ implication

The Attempt at a Solution

The brackets and implication are throwing me for a loop

1) for all real numbers, there exist another real number such that their product is 1. TRUE

2) There exists a real number y, such that any real number and y will have a product of 1. False.

?

Physics news on Phys.org
.~!@# said:

Homework Statement

1) (∀xεℝ)((x≠0)→((∃yεℝ)(xy=1)

2) (∃yεℝ)(∀xεℝ)((x≠0)→(xy=1))

Homework Equations

∃ - there exists
∀ - for all
→ implication

The Attempt at a Solution

The brackets and implication are throwing me for a loop

1) for all real numbers, there exist another real number such that their product is 1. TRUE

2) There exists a real number y, such that any real number and y will have a product of 1. False.

?
Hello .~!@# !

What's the question?

Do you want to know if your answers are correct, or do you want your translation into English checked ? ... or what??

both

Related to Solve Predicate Logic Homework Equations

1. What is predicate logic?

Predicate logic is a formal system of logic that is used in mathematics, philosophy, linguistics, and computer science. It is used to represent and reason about propositions that contain variables, quantifiers, and logical connectives.

2. How do I solve predicate logic equations?

To solve a predicate logic equation, you must first translate the given statements into symbolic notation using quantifiers, variables, and logical connectives. Then, you can use rules of inference and logical equivalences to manipulate the statements and reach a conclusion.

3. What are the common symbols used in predicate logic?

The most common symbols used in predicate logic include the universal quantifier (∀), the existential quantifier (∃), logical connectives (¬, ∧, ∨, →, ↔), and parentheses for grouping. Variables are also commonly used to represent objects or elements in the statements.

4. How do I know if my solution to a predicate logic equation is correct?

To check the correctness of your solution, you can use truth tables to evaluate the truth values of each statement in your solution. If the truth values of all statements match, then your solution is correct.

5. What are some tips for solving complex predicate logic equations?

Some tips for solving complex predicate logic equations include breaking down the statements into smaller parts, using logical equivalences to simplify the statements, and using rules of inference to make deductions. It is also helpful to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the common symbols and rules of predicate logic.