Solve Particle in a Box Questions: Lowest Energy & Probability

In summary, if you do not have the wave function you will need to solve the Schrödinger equation to figure out what the solution looks like.
Physicsiscool
Can someone please explain to me how I should go about solving the following 2 questions?

#1 The lowest energy level in a particle confined to a one-dimensional region of space with fixed dimension "L" is Eo. If an identical particle is confined to a similar region with the fixed distance (1/4)L, what is the energy of the lowest energy level that the particles have in common? Express in terms of Eo.

#2 Consider a particle in a box of width "L" and let the particle be in a state n = 11. What is the first value of x, larger then 0, where the probability of finding the particle is the highest?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicsiscool said:
Can someone please explain to me how I should go about solving the following 2 questions?

#1 The lowest energy level in a particle confined to a one-dimensional region of space with fixed dimension "L" is Eo. If an identical particle is confined to a similar region with the fixed distance (1/4)L, what is the energy of the lowest energy level that the particles have in common? Express in terms of Eo.

#2 Consider a particle in a box of width "L" and let the particle be in a state n = 11. What is the first value of x, larger then 0, where the probability of finding the particle is the highest?

I have the awkward feeling I've seen these 2 problems somewhere on this forum;perhaps one of the moderators/science advisors/homework helpers could give u the link.I couldn't since i don't have a statute/etiquette on this forum.
But I'm interested in one...Guys,can u tell me what i need to do to get me label of science advisor/homework helper ? :confused:

Physicsiscool said:

You should solve the Schrödinger equation with the 'infinite square well potential': V=0 between 0<x<L or -(1/2)L<x<(1/2)L or something like that and V=infinite outside this region. The given that the particle is confined to this region gives you your boundry condition.

For #1 the energy levels of the box go as 1/L^2

So substitute in L/4 for L and you'll have the energy (16 Eo if I do my math right)

That sounds right. Now for the second question you need the wave function, if this is not given you will still have to solve the Schrödinger equation or have an idea of what the solution will look like...

Related to Solve Particle in a Box Questions: Lowest Energy & Probability

What is a particle in a box problem?

A particle in a box problem is a theoretical physics problem that involves calculating the energy and probability of finding a particle within a confined space, such as a one-dimensional box.

How do you calculate the lowest energy of a particle in a box?

The lowest energy of a particle in a box can be calculated using the equation E = (n^2*h^2)/(8*m*L^2), where n is the quantum number, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and L is the length of the box.

What is the probability of finding a particle at a specific point in a box?

The probability of finding a particle at a specific point in a box is given by the square of the wave function, which is determined by solving the Schrodinger equation for the particle in the box.

Can a particle in a box have a negative energy?

No, a particle in a box cannot have a negative energy. The lowest energy state of a particle in a box is always equal to or greater than zero.

How does the length of the box affect the energy and probability of a particle?

The length of the box affects the energy and probability of a particle by changing the allowed energy levels and the shape of the wave function. A longer box will have a larger energy spacing between levels and a narrower wave function, while a shorter box will have a smaller energy spacing and a wider wave function.