Solve Open Tank Fluid Question: Time to Empty Half Tank

• Thread starter nick_gao
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking for the time it takes to empty half of a cylindrical open tank filled with water by letting it flow from an opening at the side. The tank has a cross-sectional area of square meters and the opening has a cross-sectional area of square meters. To solve this problem, one can use either ODEs or PDEs. If using ODEs, Torricelli's law for the velocity of the jet can be used to derive an ODE for the level of the fluid. If using PDEs, the equation for mass balance can be used to find the velocity of the jet and then integrated to find the height of the fluid over time.
nick_gao
question:(a little bit tricky)
A cylindrical open tank needs cleaning. The tank is filled with water to a height meter, so you decide to empty it by letting the water flow steadily from an opening at the side of the tank, located near the bottom. The cross-sectional area of the tank is square meters, while that of the opening is square meters.

How much time does it take to empty half the tank? Express your answer numerically in seconds. Take the free-fall acceleration due to gravity to be meters per second per second.

anyone can help me solve this question thank you a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a standard problem in ODEs. Could you be doing homework?

If you are going to solve it with ODE's, use Torricelli's law for the velocity of the jet and derive an ODE for the level of the fluid from the law of mass balance.

If you want to use PDE's, you're guess is as good as mine.

a little bit complicated to understant that. also i don't know what is PDE?

"The cross-sectional area of the tank is square meters, while that of the opening is square meters."

Is this some typo or maybe the dimensions are secret and were cut by the censor?
If the opening is small compared with the area of the tube, the flow is probably laminar and the speed of the jet is v=sqrt(2gh), i think.
Then the fluid flow is A*v = d(volume)/dt
d(volume)= density*g*dh
Plug in the speed and integrate to find h(t).

Related to Solve Open Tank Fluid Question: Time to Empty Half Tank

1. How do I calculate the time it takes to empty half of an open tank?

The time it takes to empty half of an open tank can be calculated using the formula T = (0.5V)/Q, where T is the time, V is the volume of the tank, and Q is the rate at which the tank is being emptied.

2. What is the difference between an open tank and a closed tank?

An open tank is one that is open to the atmosphere, while a closed tank is completely sealed. In an open tank, the pressure on the surface of the liquid is equal to the atmospheric pressure, whereas in a closed tank, the pressure can vary depending on the conditions inside the tank.

3. How do I determine the rate at which the tank is being emptied?

The rate at which the tank is being emptied can be determined by dividing the volume of liquid in the tank by the time it takes to empty it. This can be measured using a flow meter or by timing how long it takes to empty a known volume of liquid.

4. Can the time to empty half of a tank be affected by the shape of the tank?

Yes, the time to empty half of a tank can be affected by the shape of the tank. The shape of the tank can affect the rate at which the liquid is being emptied, which in turn affects the time it takes to empty half of the tank.

5. How does the viscosity of the liquid in the tank affect the time to empty half of the tank?

The viscosity of the liquid in the tank can affect the time to empty half of the tank. Higher viscosity liquids will take longer to flow out of the tank, resulting in a longer time to empty half of the tank.