Solve Newtons' Laws Problems with Kinematics Equations for Homework

In summary, the student is not getting the correct answer for the displacement of block A due to the force of friction. They are using the wrong value for the acceleration of block B and the force of friction is an internal force.
whoareyou

Homework Statement

E9ks9.png

Homework Equations

Newtons' Laws
Kinematics Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

bnKxy.png

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm not getting the correct answer of 17cm ... :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
A will not stop. It comes to rest on the surface of B, that is they move together with the same velocity.

ehild

Does that imply that the time is wrong? Do I set up 2 equations, one for block A and block B and determine when their speeds will be the same?

Yes, the time is wrong. The force of friction decelerates A and accelerate B till their velocity becomes equal.

ehild

so...

3.5 - 5.88T = 4.704T
T = 0.331

d = (1/2)(4.704)(0.331)^2 = 0.257m --> still the wrong answer :(

You use wrong value for the acceleration of B. It should be the force of friction divided by 1 kg.

ehild

23.52N (the reaction force from the friction of block A) = ma

Now I assumed that it was the total mass of the system, since block A is on top of it and its moving with it. Was that assumption wrong?

23.52N = (m1 + m2)a
a = 23.52 / (m1+m2) = 23.52 / (4 +1 ) = 4.704m/s^2

Oh, okay I get the right answer now. But how come you don't use the total mass when finding the acceleration for B? It's directly on top of it ...

whoareyou said:
23.52N (the reaction force from the friction of block A) = ma

Now I assumed that it was the total mass of the system, since block A is on top of it and its moving with it. Was that assumption wrong?

23.52N = (m1 + m2)a
a = 23.52 / (m1+m2) = 23.52 / (4 +1 ) = 4.704m/s^2

It is wrong. Zero external force acts on the whole system. The blocks interact, the force of friction is an internal force. A acts B and B acts A through the friction. So block B moves according to the force exerted on it by block A: F= 23.52 N.

ehild

OH ! okay, makes sense. Thanks :)

Related to Solve Newtons' Laws Problems with Kinematics Equations for Homework

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three physical laws that describe the relationship between the motion of an object and the forces acting upon it. They were first described by Sir Isaac Newton in his book "Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica" in 1687.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be mathematically expressed as F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back onto the first object.

5. How can I apply Newton's Laws to solve problems?

To solve problems using Newton's Laws, you first need to identify the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, you can use the equations derived from the laws to calculate the acceleration, velocity, or force of the object. It is important to carefully consider all forces and their directions in order to accurately apply the laws and solve the problem.