Solve Momentum Puzzle: Recoiling Cannon

• Thread starter Awwnutz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cannon
In summary, a circus cannon tilted at 50° shoots a projectile at 40 m/s with respect to the cannon, causing the cannon to recoil at 0.5 m/s along a horizontal track. Using the conservation of momentum equation, it is found that the velocity of the projectile with respect to the ground is 40.5 m/s, resulting in an angle of 50.625° with respect to the ground. When the cannon is lowered to shoot horizontally, the same projectile is fired with the same speed, causing the cannon to recoil at 40 cos(50) - 0.5 m/s with respect to the ground. The mass of the projectile is found to be 65.9444 kg.
Awwnutz
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3747/cannonlr0.gif

A circus cannon, which has a mass M = 5000 kg, is tilted at θ = 50°. When it shoots a projectile at v0 = 40 m/s with respect to the cannon, the cannon recoils along a horizontal track at vcannon = 0.5 m/s with respect to the ground.

a) At what angle to the horizontal does the projectile move with respect to the ground?

b) What is the mass of the projectile?

c) The cannon is now lowered to shoot horizontally. It fires the same projectile at the same speed relative to the cannon. With what speed does the cannon now recoil with respect to the ground?

Relative Equations:
Conservation of momentum

I already figured out part a. The velocity of the projectile with respect to the ground is the velocity of the projectile with respect to the cannon + the velocity of the cannon with respect to the ground. I found the Velocity of the projectile with respect to the ground to 40.5 m/s. Then i did a ratio to find the angle with respect to the ground.
(40m/s)/(50 degrees)=(40.5m/s)/(theta with respect to the ground)
Theta equals 50.625 degrees.

Its part b that I'm having trouble with. I know that the momentum of the cannon must be equal and opposite to that of the projectile in the x-direction. My equation looked like this:
-(5000kg)(-.05m/s) = Mp(40.5cos(50.625))
From there i found the mass of the projectile to be 65.9444 kg, but this is not right. What am I overlooking. I've went over this 3 times now and I can't seem to find my mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out by looking at other questions just like this. My resultant in the x direction was wrong. I just did 40cos(50.625) when i needed to do 40cos(50) - 0.5. The rest was pretty easy after that.

I would like to point out that the given information and equations are correct, and your approach to solving the problem is also correct. However, I believe the mistake lies in the calculation of the cosine of the angle. It should be 40.5cos(50) instead of 40.5cos(50.625). This is because the angle of 50 degrees is measured with respect to the horizontal, not the ground. Therefore, the corrected calculation would be:

-(5000kg)(0.5m/s) = Mp(40.5cos(50))
Mp = 61.02 kg

I hope this helps in solving the puzzle. Keep up the good work!

Related to Solve Momentum Puzzle: Recoiling Cannon

1. What is a recoiling cannon?

A recoiling cannon is a type of projectile launcher that uses the principle of momentum to propel objects forward. It works by using the momentum of the cannon itself to push the projectile out of the barrel.

2. How does a recoiling cannon work?

A recoiling cannon works by using the principle of conservation of momentum. When the cannon is fired, the force of the explosion pushes the cannon backwards, while at the same time, the projectile is pushed forward by the same amount of force. This creates a recoil effect, propelling the projectile out of the cannon.

3. What materials are needed to build a recoiling cannon?

The materials needed to build a recoiling cannon include a sturdy base, a barrel, a projectile, and a source of energy such as gunpowder or compressed air. The cannon must also have a mechanism for releasing the projectile and a way to absorb the recoil force.

4. What is the purpose of a recoiling cannon?

The purpose of a recoiling cannon can vary, but it is often used for scientific experiments or as a demonstration of the principle of momentum. It can also be used for recreational purposes, such as in the sport of clay pigeon shooting.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a recoiling cannon?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions when using a recoiling cannon. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, using proper handling techniques, and ensuring the cannon is pointed in a safe direction. It is also important to use the correct amount of energy to avoid dangerous levels of recoil.