Momentum Problem: Is this correct?

• Thread starter mailmas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the problem involves a car with a cannon strapped on top of it. The car is traveling at a velocity of 20 m/s and the cannon fires a ball at a velocity of 200 m/s. The mass of the car is 1000kg and the mass of the cannon is 100kg. Using the equation SUMMATION p_initial = SUMMATION p_final, the velocity of the car can be solved for. After some calculations, the final velocity of the car is determined to be 18.36 m/s, assuming the cannon fires horizontally in the same direction as the car.
mailmas

Homework Statement

There's a car, there's a cannon strapped on top of a car, the car travels with a velocity of 20 m/s and the cannon fires. The cannon fires a ball at 200 m/s. What is the velocity of the car? Velocities are with respect to the ground.

mass car = 1000
mass cannon = 100

Homework Equations

SUMATION p_initial = SUMMATION p_final

The Attempt at a Solution

100*20 + 1000*20 = 100*(-200+20) + 1000*V_car
22000 = 100* (-180) + 1000*V_car
40000 = 1000* V_car
V_car = 40 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the direction that the ball is fired given?

Why write -200+20 for the final velocity of the ball? According to the problem statement, all velocities given are with respect to the ground.

TSny said:
Is the direction that the ball is fired given?

Why write -200+20 for the final velocity of the ball? According to the problem statement, all velocities given are with respect to the ground.

The ball does go in the direction of the ground. I thought it would there would be momentum of equal magnitude but opposite direction acting on the cannon. That is where I got the -200 + 20 from for the velocity of the cannon. Is that correct?

mailmas said:
The ball does go in the direction of the ground. I thought it would there would be momentum of equal magnitude but opposite direction acting on the cannon. That is where I got the -200 + 20 from for the velocity of the cannon. Is that correct?
I don't think so. You are given the mass of the cannon and the mass of the car. Are you given the mass of the ball?

TSny said:
I don't think so. You are given the mass of the cannon and the mass of the car. Are you given the mass of the ball?

Oh shoot, I read the problem again and I am given the mass of the ball, it's 10kg.
So it would be:
10*20 + 100*20 + 1000*20 = 10*200 + 100*Vcannon + 1000*Vcar
22200 = 2000 + 100*Vcannon + 1000*Vcar
20200 = 100*Vcannon + 1000*Vcar

Would the Vcannon be equal to:
100*Vcannon = Massball*Vball => Vcannon = -20m/s? I'm confused now. Since it's moving at +20m/s would it go to 0?

mailmas said:
Oh shoot, I read the problem again and I am given the mass of the ball, it's 10kg.
So it would be:
10*20 + 100*20 + 1000*20 = 10*200 + 100*Vcannon + 1000*Vcar
22200 = 2000 + 100*Vcannon + 1000*Vcar
OK, that looks right.

Would the Vcannon be equal to:
100*Vcannon = Massball*Vball => Vcannon = -20m/s? I'm confused now. Since it's moving at +20m/s would it go to 0?
Here, we will need to interpret what it means for the cannon to be "strapped to the top of the car". Does it mean that the cannon is not allowed to move relative to the car?

TSny said:
OK, that looks right.

Here, we will need to interpret what it means for the cannon to be "strapped to the top of the car". Does it mean that the cannon is not allowed to move relative to the car?

Yes I believe that is right. So would it instead be something along the lines: Msystem*Vsystem = -2000 => 1100*(20-v) = -2000 => 20-v = -1.81 => V= 18.2 m/s

mailmas said:
Yes I believe that is right. So would it instead be something along the lines: Msystem*Vsystem = -2000 => 1100*(20-v) = -2000 => 20-v = -1.81 => V= 18.2 m/s
I'm not following this. The equation Msystem*Vsystem = -2000 says that the total momentum of the system is negative. Why is that?

But, go back to where you had

If the cannon is not allowed to move relative to the car, what can you say about Vcannon and Vcar?

TSny said:
I'm not following this. The equation Msystem*Vsystem = -2000 says that the total momentum of the system is negative. Why is that?

But, go back to where you had

If the cannon is not allowed to move relative to the car, what can you say about Vcannon and Vcar?

They're the same.

mailmas said:
They're the same.
Yes.

TSny said:
Yes.

So we could get the velocity of the system(car) be 20200/1100 = 18.36 m/s

mailmas said:
So we could get the velocity of the system(car) be 20200/1100 = 18.36 m/s
Yes, I think that's right. This assumes that the cannon fires horizontally in the same direction that the car is traveling.

TSny said:
Yes, I think that's right. This assumes that the cannon fires horizontally in the same direction that the car is traveling.
Thanks!

Related to Momentum Problem: Is this correct?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physics concept that refers to the quantity of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum before and after a collision or interaction remains constant. This means that the combined momentum of all objects in the system cannot change, even if individual objects may have different momentums.

3. Is momentum a vector or scalar quantity?

Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. This is because it takes into account an object's mass and velocity, which both have direction.

4. Can momentum be negative?

Yes, momentum can be negative. This usually occurs when an object's velocity is in the opposite direction of its initial motion. However, the negative sign does not indicate a decrease in momentum, but rather a change in direction.

5. How is momentum related to force?

Momentum and force are related through Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. This means that a larger force will result in a greater change in momentum, and vice versa.