Solve Moment Problem: Weight of Bar = 350 N

• Thread starter urbanupstart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, the heavy bar is in equilibrium on a pivot with two weights at either end. The weight of the bar can be calculated by taking moments of the three forces (the two weights and the weight of the bar) about the pivot point. The distances used for the moments should be from the pivot to each weight, the pivot to the center of mass of the bar, and the pivot to the other weight.
urbanupstart
1. A heavy uniform bar is in equilibrium in the arrrangement shown
(I cannot upload the picture, but the bar is resting on a pivot with two weights at either end. 1.5m to the left of the pivot with 1000N weight at the end. 4.5m to the right of the pivot with a 100N weight at the end)
Question is- what is the weight of the bar to nearest Newton?

Homework Equations

3. My attempt so far- anti-clockwise moment of weight is 1.5*1000 = 1500Nm; clockwise moment of right weight is 100* 4.5 =450Nm.

I have never met a question asking me about the bar, but... I reasoned that as the bar is balanced, the clockwise and antclockwise moments must be the same and so
1500Nm + 1.5x = 450Nm + 4.5x (the 1.5x and 4.5x refer to the bar moments/weights)

simplifying to 1050Nm = 3.5x
so x = 350

I have the answer- the bar is 300N,so I was close:) but I cannot get it. Anyone help me through this please?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi urbanupstart! welcome to pf! :wink:
urbanupstart said:
1500Nm + 1.5x = 450Nm + 4.5x (the 1.5x and 4.5x refer to the bar moments/weights)

what is this? :confused:

there are three forces:

the weights of the two weights, and the weight of the bar itself …

add the moments of those three forces :smile:

tiny-tim said:
what is this? :confused:

there are three forces:

the weights of the two weights, and the weight of the bar itself …

add the moments of those three forces :smile:

Ah, that was my attempt to figure out the bar weight lol!

Thanks Tim, My level of understanding of this is pretty low though. How would I calculate the bar moment? Would you be kind enough to show me the calcs, so I can take a look please. Sorry to be so dense:blushing:

hi urbanupstart! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

all you have to do is assume that the weight of the bar is a force which goes through its centre of mass :wink:

I'm so sorry, but I mis-read the answer. It should be 700N :redface: Can anyone still help me with this please?

ok, assume that the weight of the bar is is w, and that it goes through the centre of mass of the bar …

write out the moments of all three weights :smile:

Ok, that would be 1500Nm(for the first), I don't know how to figure out the bar moment (as distance is zero and zero* anything is zero), but on the other hand, if it is the sum of the other two moments, then it would be 1950Nm? and 450Nm(for the right-hand weight)

urbanupstart said:
Ok, that would be 1500Nm(for the first), I don't know how to figure out the bar moment (as distance is zero and zero* anything is zero), but on the other hand, if it is the sum of the other two moments, then it would be 1950Nm? and 450Nm(for the right-hand weight)

if you're taking moments about the pivot, you need to multiply the weight of the bar by the distance (which isn't zero) from the pivot to the centre of mass of the bar

ok, then the moment of the bar is w*6m?

urbanupstart said:
ok, then the moment of the bar is w*6m?

no, 6 m is the whole length of the bar, the moment about the pivot only uses the distance from the c.o.m. to the pivot

ok, then w*4.5 + w* 1.5 ?

urbanupstart said:
ok, then w*4.5 + w* 1.5 ?

uhh? :confused: how far is the c.o.m. of the bar from the pivot?

Hmmm, centre of mass of the bar from the pivot? I don't know, please help:wink:

urbanupstart said:
… the bar is resting on a pivot with two weights at either end. 1.5m to the left of the pivot with 1000N weight at the end. 4.5m to the right of the pivot with a 100N weight at the end …
urbanupstart said:
Hmmm, centre of mass of the bar from the pivot? I don't know, please help:wink:

the bar is 6 m long, so the c.o.m. is 3 m from either end, and the pivot is 1.5 m from one end

and now I'm going to bed :zzz:

Ok, I appreciate your reponses Tinytim, but I still need more help.

Please go on...

(just got up :zzz: …)

from the pivot to one weight is +4.5 m, to the c.o.m. is +1.5 m, and to the other weight is -1.5m

those are the distances you should be using in your moments :smile:

Related to Solve Moment Problem: Weight of Bar = 350 N

1. What is the "Moment Problem" and how does it relate to the weight of a bar?

The Moment Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a measure of an object's weight or mass, based on the distribution of its weight. In this case, the weight of the bar, which is given as 350 N, is used to determine the distance from the pivot point at which the bar will be in equilibrium.

2. How is the weight of the bar calculated in this problem?

The weight of the bar is calculated by multiplying its mass by the acceleration due to gravity, which is typically given as 9.8 m/s^2. In this case, the weight of the bar would be calculated as 350 N = m x 9.8 m/s^2, where m is the mass of the bar in kilograms.

3. What is the significance of determining the weight of the bar in this problem?

Determining the weight of the bar is significant because it allows us to understand how much force is acting on the bar at different points along its length. This information is important for designing structures or machines that rely on the equilibrium of forces to function properly.

4. How does the weight of the bar affect its stability?

The weight of the bar plays a crucial role in its stability. If the weight is evenly distributed, the bar will be in equilibrium and remain stable. However, if the weight is unevenly distributed, the bar may tilt or tip over, depending on the location of the pivot point.

5. Are there any real-world applications for solving the Moment Problem?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for solving the Moment Problem. For example, engineers use this concept to design structures such as bridges and buildings to ensure they are stable and can withstand external forces. It is also used in physics and mechanics to understand the equilibrium of forces in different systems.