Solve lnx + ln(x+2) = ln3 | Math Problem

• Thread starter babacanoosh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ln
In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation involving natural logarithms. The steps to solve the equation are to use the distributive property, the fact that "e" is the inverse of natural log, and to find the values that satisfy the inequality. It is important to note that the argument in the logarithms cannot be non-positive, and that the second equation does not imply the first one. Therefore, all solutions of the second equation must be checked to see if they satisfy the original equation.
babacanoosh
1. lnx + ln(x+2) = ln3

2. just work the problem out using distributive property

ln2x = ln3-ln2
ln2x = .4054/b]

ehh..I am just doing this one wrong. It is hard to believe what summer vacation can do to you :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\ln ab=\ln a+\ln b[/tex]

Use that property on the left side then use the fact that "e" is the inverse of natural log.

ok great i got it. Thanks a lot. But for some reason my answers are 3 and negative 1. Now i know that that would mean that the answer would only be 3 but the right answer is 1. Instead of getting a -1, 3...the right answer is -3, 1.

I tried what you described, in the end getting x^2 +2x -3

Thanks

[tex]\ln{x(x+2)}=\ln 3[/tex]

[tex]x^2+2x-3=0[/tex]

[tex](x-1)(x+3)=0[/tex]

So can you have the negative 3?

no you cannot. Thank you

babacanoosh said:
no you cannot. Thank you
Sure?

The Domain of [tex]\ln x[/tex] is [tex]x > 0[/tex]

Similarly, [tex]x(x+2)>0[/tex]

What values satisfy this inequality?

oh! I see. When plugging in -3, it does work.

Wait...For lnx + ln(x+2) = ln3, if you put in x=-3 it doesn't work.

But it works for lnx(x+2)=ln3. How do you know whether it is valid or not?

rock.freak667 said:
Wait...For lnx + ln(x+2) = ln3, if you put in x=-3 it doesn't work.
Correct.

But it works for lnx(x+2)=ln3.
Indeed it does.
Remember that the argument to the logarithms can't be non-positive.

Your ORIGINAL equation cannot therefore have non-positive solutions.

Furthermore, whereas your first equation IMPLIES your second equation, your second equation does NOT imply your first.

THat is, going from the first to the second equation is NOT to shift to an equaivalent equation at all, therefore, your shift might introduce FALSE solutions.
At the end, you must check all solutions of the second equation to see if they satisfy your original equation. (The true solutions of your original equation will be among those of your second, precisely because your first equation implies the second one).

A hint that may help is that with ln(x)... what value for x will give 0?

Related to Solve lnx + ln(x+2) = ln3 | Math Problem

What is the given problem?

The given problem is to solve the equation lnx + ln(x+2) = ln3 for the value of x.

What is the first step in solving this problem?

The first step is to combine the logarithms using the product rule, which states that ln(a) + ln(b) = ln(ab). In this case, we can rewrite the equation as ln(x(x+2)) = ln3.

What is the next step after combining the logarithms?

After combining the logarithms, we can use the rule that ln(a) = b is equivalent to e^b = a to rewrite the equation as e^ln(x(x+2)) = e^ln3. This simplifies to x(x+2) = 3.

How do we solve for x in the simplified equation?

We can solve for x by expanding the left side of the equation and setting it equal to 3, giving us the quadratic equation x^2 + 2x - 3 = 0. This can be factored as (x+3)(x-1) = 0, so the solutions are x = -3 or x = 1.

Are there any extraneous solutions for this problem?

Yes, there is an extraneous solution of x = -3 since ln(-3) and ln(-3+2) are undefined. Therefore, the only valid solution is x = 1.