Deriving f(x)=2x^x - Math Problem Solving

• MHB
  • Thread starter bguillenwork
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derive
In summary, to derive the function f(x)=2x^x, you first set i equal to y and then take the natural log to get lny = ln(2x^x). Using logarithm laws, this can be simplified to lny = ln(2) + xln(x). From here, you can take the derivative of both sides to find the derivative of f(x).
bguillenwork
So I have to derive f(x)=2x^x

I know I first set i equal to y

y = 2x^x

then take the natural log

lny = ln(2x^x)
lny = 2(ln2x)

but here I get a bit stuck. Do I take the derivative now?

Physics news on Phys.org
bguillenwork said:
So I have to derive f(x)=2x^x

I know I first set i equal to y

y = 2x^x

then take the natural log

lny = ln(2x^x)
lny = 2(ln2x)

but here I get a bit stuck. Do I take the derivative now?

You need to review your logarithm laws...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \ln{(y)} &= \ln{ \left( 2 \cdot x^x \right) } \\ \ln{(y)} &= \ln{(2)} + \ln{ \left( x^x \right) } \\ \ln{(y)} &= \ln{(2)} + x\ln{(x)} \end{align*}$

and then yes, you will now differentiate both sides.

Related to Deriving f(x)=2x^x - Math Problem Solving

1. How do you derive the equation f(x)=2x^x?

To derive an equation, you need to find its derivative, which represents the rate of change of the function. In this case, the derivative of f(x)=2x^x is f'(x)=2x^x(ln 2 + ln x).

2. What is the purpose of deriving an equation?

Deriving an equation allows us to understand the behavior of the function and its rate of change. It also helps us solve problems involving the function more efficiently.

3. Can you explain the steps involved in deriving f(x)=2x^x?

To derive f(x)=2x^x, we use the power rule and the chain rule. First, we take the exponent and multiply it by the coefficient, resulting in 2x^xln 2. Then, we apply the chain rule by multiplying the derivative of the exponent, which is ln x, by the derivative of the base, which is 2x. This gives us a final derivative of f'(x)=2x^x(ln 2 + ln x).

4. How can we use the derived function f'(x)=2x^x(ln 2 + ln x) to solve problems?

The derived function gives us the rate of change of the original function. We can use it to find the maximum or minimum value of the function, the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing, and the points where the function is concave up or concave down.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the equation f(x)=2x^x?

Yes, the equation f(x)=2x^x has applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics. For example, in physics, it can be used to model exponential growth or decay. In chemistry, it can represent the rate of a chemical reaction. In economics, it can model compound interest or population growth.