Solve Integration by Parts: y' = x.y.cos(x^2)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to the differential equation y' = x.y.cos(x^2) using the integration by parts method. The attempt at a solution involves integrating both sides, using integration by parts twice, and then substituting t=x^2 to simplify the integral. It is also mentioned that using substitution is a simpler approach to solving the integral. Overall, the conversation provides helpful explanations on how to approach and solve this problem.
adamwitt

Homework Statement

Find the solution to:

y' = x.y.cos(x^2)

Homework Equations

Integration by Parts method.

The Attempt at a Solution

Step 1
(dy/dx).(1/y) = x.cos(x2)

(1/y) dy = x.cos(x2) dx

Step 2
Integrate both sides.

ln|y| = integratal of [ x.cos(x2) dx ]

Step 3
Using integration by parts...

u = cos(x2) => du = -2x.sin(2^x)
dv = x => v = 1.dx

Step 4
Subbing back in...

ln|y| = u.v - integral of v.du = cos(x2) - integral of [-2x.sin(x2)]

ln(y) = cos(x2) + 2*integral of [x.sin(x2)]

Step 5
Using integration by parts a second time...

u = sin(x2) => du = 2x.cos(x2)
dv = x => v = 1.dx

Step 6
Subbing back in...

ln|y| = cos(x2) + 2 ( sin(x2) - 2*integral of x.cos(x2).dx )Step 7

I stop my attempt there because it just seems to eventually I get to a point where it becomes a function of itself? (ie. the x.cos(x2)

What do I do next? or have I gone wrong somewhere?EDIT --- SOME FURTHER WORK, IS THIS CORRECT?

Ok so I noticed that we get "integral of [x.cos(x2)]" back in our formula, and up above in Step 2 I declared it to be = ln|y|

So I sub ln|y| into the formula and get...

ln|y| = cos(x2) + 2sin(x2) - 4*ln|y|
5*ln|y| = cos(x2) + 2sin(x2)
ln|y| = (1/5)*(cos(x2) + 2sin(x2))

y = e^(above line)

Ta da? lemmy know if this correct please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
integral of [ x.cos(x2) dx ] doesn't need integration by parts right? derivative of x square is 2 times x.

Oster said:
integral of [ x.cos(x2) dx ] doesn't need integration by parts right? derivative of x square is 2 times x.

Are you high? :P
What has the derivative of x^2 got to do with the integral of x*cos(2^x) ?

Why are you even using integration by parts? A much simpler approach is to substitute t=x^2 on your right hand integration.

HEY! I WASN'T HIGH! I was trying to help!

Pi-Bond said:
Why are you even using integration by parts? A much simpler approach is to substitute t=x^2 on your right hand integration.

As far as I'm aware the easiest way to integrate the product of two functions is to integrate it by parts.

Could you please explain your method? ie. Once I substitute t=x^2, what then?

If t=x^2, dt=2xdx. Your integral xcos(x2)dx can then be expressed as (1/2)cos(t)dt, which you can integrate easily.

Pi-Bond said:
If t=x^2, dt=2xdx. Your integral xcos(x2)dx can then be expressed as (1/2)cos(t)dt, which you can integrate easily.

How does x become (1/2) ?

You haven't done integrations by substitution yet? Maybe you should wait for your class to get to that point...(Actually if you are doing differential equations, you should be aware of this)

Anyway: xcos(x2)dx = (1/2)cos(x2)(2xdx) = (1/2)cos(t)dt

adamwitt said:
How does x become (1/2) ?
This is pretty standard when using substitution to do integration. Generally the method of
substitution is covered before integration by parts.

You are trying to find [itex]\displaystyle \int x\cos(x^2)\,dx\,.[/itex]

As Oster suggested, use substitution. Pi-Bond gave more details: use t = x2, then dt = 2x dx → x dx = (1/2) dt . This is where the 1/2 comes from.

x doesn't become 1/2. Pi-Bond moved the x to be with 2 x dx, then had to include 1/2 to make up for the extra factor of 2. It's just a different way to get the same result.

SammyS said:
This is pretty standard when using substitution to do integration. Generally the method of
substitution is covered before integration by parts.

You are trying to find [itex]\displaystyle \int x\cos(x^2)\,dx\,.[/itex]

As Oster suggested, use substitution. Pi-Bond gave more details: use t = x2, then dt = 2x dx → x dx = (1/2) dt . This is where the 1/2 comes from.

x doesn't become 1/2. Pi-Bond moved the x to be with 2 x dx, then had to include 1/2 to make up for the extra factor of 2. It's just a different way to get the same result.

Thanks guys, understand it all now. Legends.

Related to Solve Integration by Parts: y' = x.y.cos(x^2)

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves using the product rule from differentiation to rewrite the integral in a different form that is easier to solve.

2. How do you use integration by parts to solve an equation?

To solve an equation using integration by parts, you first identify the two functions in the equation and label them as u and v. Then, you use the formula ∫u.dv = u.v - ∫v.du to rewrite the integral in a different form. You continue this process until you can easily solve the integral.

3. What is the purpose of using integration by parts?

The purpose of using integration by parts is to solve integrals that cannot be easily solved using other methods, such as substitution or the power rule. It allows us to break down complex integrals into simpler ones that we can solve using known techniques.

4. How do you solve the equation y' = x.y.cos(x^2) using integration by parts?

To solve this equation, we first rewrite it as ∫y/x = ∫cos(x^2). Then, we let u = 1/x and dv = y.dx. This gives us du = -1/x^2 and v = ∫y.dx = y.x - ∫y'/dx = y.x - ∫(x.y.cos(x^2)).dx. Substituting these values into the integration by parts formula, we get the final solution of y = (1/2).sin(x^2) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

5. Are there any tricks or tips for solving integration by parts?

One helpful tip for solving integration by parts is to choose u and dv in a strategic way to make the integral simpler. Typically, you want to choose u as the function that becomes simpler after differentiation, and dv as the function that becomes easier to integrate. It may also be helpful to use algebraic manipulations or trigonometric identities to simplify the integral before applying integration by parts.