Solve Integral Q: d4y/dx4 - 4 d3y/dx3 - 5 d2y/dx2 + 36 dy/dx - 36y = -8e^x

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution to a differential equation with a specific characteristic polynomial and a term on the right-hand side. The characteristic polynomial is factored to obtain the homogenous solution, while the particular solution is given as e^x to take care of the inhomogenous part. The general solution is then written as the sum of the homogenous and particular solutions.
rwooduk
d4y/dx4 - 4 d3y/dx3 - 5 d2y/dx2 + 36 dy/dx - 36y = -8e^x

Given that λ^4 - 4λ^3 - 5λ^2 + 36λ - 36 = 0 can be factored to obtain (λ-2)^2 (λ^2 - 9) = 0

find the general solution to this equation

I can answer the question no problem BUT where does the -8 on the RHS of the equation go??

If i set y=e^λx i get λ^4 - 4λ^3 - 5λ^2 + 36λ - 36 = -8 ??

so why hasnt he factorised λ^4 - 4λ^3 - 5λ^2 + 36λ - 28 = 0

??

Totally confused. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is guiding you to the general solution of the corresponding homogenous equation only. To obtain the general solution to your original equation, you also need a solution solving the equation with the term on the RHS present.

Likes 1 person
The differential equation you have there is an inhomogeneous differential equation.
The characteristic polynomial that is provided in the hint provides the solution to the homogenous differential equation
[tex]y^{(4)} - 4y^{(3)} -5y''+36y'-36y = 0[/tex]
The final solution will be the sum of the homogenous solution and the particular solution for the imhomogenous part.

Likes 1 person
the particular solution is given as e^x

so the complete solution will be

λ = 2, 2, 3, -3

-> y = Ae^2x + Bxe^2x + Ce^3x + De^-3x + e^x

are you saying that the particular solution given takes care of the RHS, so I don't need to worry about it? Or do I have to include something else in the complete solution above?

thanks for the help.

EDIT

oh, i see, it doesn't want a solution to the original equation. thanks again for the help!

Just out of interest how would the solution to the original question differ from my answer?

Last edited:
rwooduk said:
are you saying that the particular solution given takes care of the RHS, so I don't need to worry about it?
Yes, that is the role of the particular solution. You can think of it this way:
We have a differential equation in the form
[itex]\hat{D} y = f(x)[/itex]
The general solution can be written in terms of the homogenous and particular solutions:
[itex]y = y_{h} + y_{p}[/itex]
which satisfy
[itex]\hat{D} y_{h} = 0[/itex]
[itex]\hat{D} y_{p} = f(x)[/itex]
So, clearly,
[itex]\hat{D} (y_{h}+y_{p}) = f(x)[/itex]

Likes 1 person
Fightfish said:
Yes, that is the role of the particular solution. You can think of it this way:
We have a differential equation in the form
[itex]\hat{D} y = f(x)[/itex]
The general solution can be written in terms of the homogenous and particular solutions:
[itex]y = y_{h} + y_{p}[/itex]
which satisfy
[itex]\hat{D} y_{h} = 0[/itex]
[itex]\hat{D} y_{p} = f(x)[/itex]
So, clearly,
[itex]\hat{D} (y_{h}+y_{p}) = f(x)[/itex]

excellent! got it! Many thanks!

Related to Solve Integral Q: d4y/dx4 - 4 d3y/dx3 - 5 d2y/dx2 + 36 dy/dx - 36y = -8e^x

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation or sum of infinitesimal values. It is often used to find the area under a curve or to solve equations involving derivatives.

2. What is the order of the differential equation d4y/dx4 - 4 d3y/dx3 - 5 d2y/dx2 + 36 dy/dx - 36y = -8e^x?

The order of this differential equation is 4, as it contains the fourth derivative of y.

3. How can this differential equation be solved?

This differential equation can be solved by finding the general solution using the method of undetermined coefficients, or by using an integrating factor and solving the resulting linear differential equation.

4. What is the significance of the term e^x in the equation?

The term e^x represents the exponential function, which is commonly used in many areas of science and mathematics. In this equation, it indicates that the solution will have an exponential component.

5. What is the physical interpretation of this differential equation?

This differential equation may represent a physical system where the fourth derivative of a variable y is proportional to the variable itself, with additional terms representing external forces or factors. The solution would then represent the behavior of the system over time.