Solve Integral Problems: Partial Fractions and Denominator Breakdown

In summary: If it is the former, then there is no partial fraction expansion. The integral of \frac{1}{x^2} is -\frac{1}{x}. So, you need to have-\frac{3}{x} and \frac{1}{x^2}. Then you get (-\frac{3}{x}+ \frac{1}{x^2})dx= -3ln(x)+ \frac{1}{x}. But you seem to have forgotten that you are integrating with respect to x, not t! For the second question, you need to use the quotient rule to get the derivative of the numerator:\frac{d}{dx}(5x^3
SLBP
Hi,

I have a couple of problems I'm trying to figure out:

1) 1/x^3-x^2 dx

Is this a partial fraction problem and if so am I doing it correctly?

I think I should break down the denominator into x^2(x-1) then I have A/x^2 + B/(x-1)

Then I get A= -3 and B = 1 so I figure it to be -3ln[x^2] + ln[x-1]?

I may be way off and if I am could you please point me in the right direction.

2) [5x^3 + x^2 - square root (x)] / 2x

I know this is another partial fractions problem but I have no idea what to do when I only have 2x in the denominator. Could you give me a way to start this problem so I can try to figure it out too?

Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org

SLBP said:
Hi,

I have a couple of problems I'm trying to figure out:

1) 1/x^3-x^2 dx

Is this a partial fraction problem and if so am I doing it correctly?

I think I should break down the denominator into x^2(x-1) then I have A/x^2 + B/(x-1)

Then I get A= -3 and B = 1 so I figure it to be -3ln[x^2] + ln[x-1]?

I may be way off and if I am could you please point me in the right direction.

Okay, here we go. First, you're right that it's a partial fractions problem. However, when you have x*x*(x-1), you have to have a term for 1/x^2 and 1/x. So in reality, you have A/x^2 + B/x + C/(x-1). That will help.

Also, something that will help is that the integral of 1/x^2 is not ln(x^2). You have to use the power rule for that one.

2) [5x^3 + x^2 - square root (x)] / 2x

I know this is another partial fractions problem but I have no idea what to do when I only have 2x in the denominator. Could you give me a way to start this problem so I can try to figure it out too?

Thanks for the help

This one is actually really easy. Just split the numerator and then you'll get a formula in terms of x^2, x, and 1/sqrt(x). Each of these can be integrated using the power rule.

Actually, it's impossible to tell if it is a "partial fractions" problem without knowing whether you meant
[tex]\frac{1}{x^3}- x^2[/tex]
(what you actually wrote)
or
1/(x^3- x^2) which would be
[tex]\frac{1}{x^3- x^2}[/tex]

If it is the latter, then, yes, factor and write as partial fractions.

Related to Solve Integral Problems: Partial Fractions and Denominator Breakdown

What is the purpose of solving integral problems using partial fractions and denominator breakdown?

The purpose of solving integral problems using partial fractions and denominator breakdown is to simplify complex integrals into more manageable parts. By breaking down the denominator into simpler factors and finding their corresponding partial fractions, the integral becomes easier to solve using basic integration techniques.

When should I use partial fractions and denominator breakdown to solve integrals?

You should use partial fractions and denominator breakdown when the integral has a rational function as its integrand. In other words, when the expression being integrated is a ratio of two polynomials. This method is particularly useful when the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator.

What is the general process for solving integral problems using partial fractions and denominator breakdown?

The general process for solving integral problems using partial fractions and denominator breakdown is as follows:

• Factor the denominator into its linear and irreducible quadratic factors.
  • Write the partial fraction decomposition by setting up a system of equations using the coefficients of the factors.
  • Solve the system of equations to find the unknown coefficients.
  • Integrate each partial fraction separately to obtain the final solution.

Are there any restrictions or limitations when using partial fractions and denominator breakdown to solve integrals?

Yes, there are some restrictions and limitations when using partial fractions and denominator breakdown to solve integrals. These include:

• The degree of the numerator must be less than the degree of the denominator.
  • The denominator must be factored completely into linear and irreducible quadratic factors.
  • Repeated factors in the denominator require additional partial fractions.
  • Irreducible quadratic factors in the denominator may require the use of complex numbers.

Can the process of solving integrals using partial fractions and denominator breakdown be automated?

Yes, the process of solving integrals using partial fractions and denominator breakdown can be automated using computer software or calculators. However, it is still important to understand the manual process in case the automated method produces incorrect results or is not available.