Solve Homogeneous Function f(x,y) w/ Euler's Rule

In summary, to find $f(12,6)$ you can use the fact that the partial derivatives of a homogeneous function have certain properties, as well as the fact that all the vectors in the question are multiples of each other.
Yankel
Hello,

I need some help with this question here, I'll explain why in a second. The question is:

f(x,y) is a homogeneous function of order 3. It is known that:

\[f_{x}(2,1)=7\]

and

\[f_{y}(8,4)=5\]

find f(12,6).

Now, I know of Euler's rule, which includes the partial derivatives, but in the question the (x,y) point if different between f, fx, and fy, I am confused. Can you assist please ? :confused:

Thanks !

(Final answer should be 1030.5)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello,

I need some help with this question here, I'll explain why in a second. The question is:

\[f_{x}(2,1)=7\]

and

\[f_{y}(8,4)=5\]

find f(12,6).

Now, I know of Euler's rule, which includes the partial derivatives, but in the question the (x,y) point if different between f, fx, and fy, I am confused. Can you assist please ? :confused:

Thanks !

You can reasonably suppose that the unknown function has the form...

$\displaystyle f(x,y)= a\ x^{2}\ y + b\ x\ y^{2}\ (1)$

... so that is...

$\displaystyle f_{x} = 2\ a\ x\ y + b\ y^{2}$

$\displaystyle f_{y} = a\ x^{2} + 2\ b\ x\ y\ (2)$

Now a and b can be found inserting in (2) the conditions $f_{x} (2,1)=7$ and $f_{y}(8,4)=5$ and solving the 2 x 2 linear system...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thanks.

Can I take you back to the first stage ? How did you know / decide that this is the form of the function ? Based on what ?

Yankel said:
Thanks.

Can I take you back to the first stage ? How did you know / decide that this is the form of the function ? Based on what ?

Particular homogeneous functions of degree 3 are $f_{1}=x^{2}\ y$ and $f_{2}=x\ y^{2}$, so that any linear combination of them like $f(x,y) + c_{1}\ f_{1} + c_{2}\ f_{2}$ is also a homogeneous function of degree 3. But why don't include also $f_{3}= x^{3}$ and $f_{4} = y^{3}$?... that's right, and that means that the general case is $f(x, y) = c_{1}\ f_{1} + c_{2}\ f_{2} + c_{3}\ f_{3} + c_{4}\ f_{4}$ and Your problem has infinity solutions...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Yankel said:
Hello,

\[f_{x}(2,1)=7\]

and

\[f_{y}(8,4)=5\]

find f(12,6).

Thanks !

A homogeneous function $f$ of order $k$ has the properties (i) its partial derivatives are homogeneous of order $k-1$; (ii) $f(\alpha \vec{v}) = \alpha^kf(\vec{v})$ (for any scalar $\alpha$ and vector $\vec{v}$); (iii) [Euler's theorem] $\vec{v}\cdot \nabla f(\vec{v}) = k f(\vec{v})$.

The useful feature of this question is that all the vectors are multiples of each other. In fact, $(12,6) = 6(2,1) = \frac32(8,4)$. By (i), the partial derivatives of $f$ are homogeneous of order $2$. It follows from (ii) that $f_x(12,6) = 6^2f_x(2,1)$ and $f_y(12,6) = \bigl(\frac32\bigr)^2f_y(8,4).$ You can then use (iii) to find $f(12,6).$

Related to Solve Homogeneous Function f(x,y) w/ Euler's Rule

1. What is a homogeneous function?

A homogeneous function is a mathematical function in which all of its terms have the same degree, meaning they have the same total number of variables. In other words, when all of the variables in a homogeneous function are multiplied by the same constant, the value of the function is also multiplied by that same constant.

2. What is Euler's rule for solving homogeneous functions?

Euler's rule states that a homogeneous function f(x,y) can be solved by substituting x = vt and y = ut, where v and u are arbitrary constants. This substitution will result in an equation in terms of t, which can then be solved using standard methods.

3. Why is Euler's rule useful for solving homogeneous functions?

Euler's rule allows us to transform a homogeneous function into a simpler form that is easier to solve. This is because the substitution of x = vt and y = ut eliminates all of the variables with the same degree, leaving only one variable (t) in the equation.

4. Can Euler's rule be used for any homogeneous function?

Yes, Euler's rule can be used for any homogeneous function with two variables. It is a general method for solving these types of functions and does not have any restrictions or limitations.

5. Are there any other methods for solving homogeneous functions?

Yes, there are other methods for solving homogeneous functions such as using the method of undetermined coefficients or using the substitution method. However, Euler's rule is often the most efficient and straightforward method for solving these types of functions.