Solving a Tricky Chain Rule Question with Confusing Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a chain rule question involving a function, where the given values for the derivatives of the function are used to find the correct answer for a new function. The confusion arises from the given function being written in a confusing manner, but it is clarified that it is possible for the values of x and y to be negative. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for assistance in solving the problem.
Yankel
Hello,

I have a tricky chain rule question, I think understanding it is more difficult than solving.

For the function z=f(x,y) it is given that:

f_{y}(0,-3)=-2

and

\[f_{x}(0,-3)=3\]

so for the function

\[g(x,y)=f(2\cdot ln(x+y),x^{4}-3y^{2})\]

choose the correct answer:

(1)
\[g_{y}(0,-3)=18\]

(2)
\[g_{y}(0,-3)=-6\]

(3)
\[g_{y}(0,1)=18\]

(4)
\[g_{y}(0,1)=-6\]

(5)
Non of the above answers

I am confused slightly. I thought to call

\[u=2\cdot ln(x+y)\]
and
\[v=x^{4}-3y^{2}\]

but when I put x=0 and y=-3, I can't get a value for u, since I get a negative value under the ln.

Can you assist clearing this up ? Thank you ! :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Their writing of the function is a bit sloppy. Remember $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 2\ln{(x+y)} = \ln{ \left[ (x + y)^2 \right] } \end{align*}$, which means you CAN have values of x and y such that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x + y < 0 \end{align*}$, as squaring will make them positive.

I used the chain rule, and I called u= 2ln(x+y) and v=x^4-3y^2

I don't know how to proceed from here.

Last edited:

Related to Solving a Tricky Chain Rule Question with Confusing Variables

1. How do I approach a tricky chain rule question with confusing variables?

The first step is to identify the variables and their relationships in the given function. Then, use the chain rule formula to differentiate each term, starting from the outermost function and working your way inwards.

2. What if the variables in the chain rule are not explicitly given?

In this case, you can use substitution to assign values to the variables. For example, if the function is given as f(x) = x^2 and g(x) = sin(x), you can substitute u = x^2 and v = sin(x) to make the chain rule easier to apply.

3. How do I know when to use the chain rule?

The chain rule is used when differentiating a composite function, where one function is nested within another. This commonly occurs when the function contains trigonometric, exponential, or logarithmic functions.

4. What if there are multiple nested functions in the chain rule?

In this case, you can use the chain rule multiple times, starting from the outermost function and working your way inwards. It may also be helpful to use substitution to make the problem more manageable.

5. How can I check if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging in values for the variables and comparing your result to the original function. You can also use online calculators or ask a classmate or teacher for feedback.