Solve Hairy Trig Integral: Find Value of 'c

In summary: Please show your solution.In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving positive integers and finding the value of 'c'. The person asking for help initially tried using a substitution but was unable to solve the problem. They then posted an image of their approach and asked for a hint. After receiving a hint, the person figured out the solution and shared that the answer is c=8. However, they did not provide any details on how they arrived at the solution.
Saurabh
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>
tex2img.png

where a, b, c, d and n, all are positive integers.
Find the value of 'c'.
-------------------------------

I don't really have a good approach for this one.
I just made a substitution u = sinx + cosx
I couldn't clear up the mess.
A hint(s) would be highly appreciated.
Peace!

Attachments

• tex2img.png
    tex2img.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 689
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Saurabh said:
<Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.>

https://scontent.fhyd1-1.fna.fbcdn....=1b8a98481cf7145ee977f8972836ac1b&oe=5A9C989E
My approach to the monster problem.
I set u as (sinθ + cosθ)
thus the limits vary from √2 to (√3 +1)/2
then i factored the sin^3(θ) - cos^3(θ) term.
and did stuff.
observe du = cosθ - sinθ = -(sinθ - cosθ)
and thus somehow the limits may change. and from that, i don't know, magically, 'c' can be equal to 3.
a hint would be appreciated :)

You really need to show your work; just saying "...did stuff..." is not enough.

Also, you should try to avoid posting images; the preferred mode here is typed problem statements and solutions, although to some extent those standards are relaxed if images are clear and unambiguous. Yours is a bit fuzzy: the lower integration limit is not at all clear.

We use latex to enter equations on PF.

There is a link to our latex help page at the bottom of my post.

Likes Saurabh
Ray Vickson said:
You really need to show your work; just saying "...did stuff..." is not enough.

Also, you should try to avoid posting images; the preferred mode here is typed problem statements and solutions, although to some extent those standards are relaxed if images are clear and unambiguous. Yours is a bit fuzzy: the lower integration limit is not at all clear.
Is this okay now?
Please can you figure out something?

@haruspex please help me with this one sir!
a little help will be appreciated.
thank you.

You might have something with your substitution. I am interested to see how you substituted for terms like ##cos^2x##. Could you show us how you did that and what you got for the integral in terms of u?

Last edited:
Saurabh said:
@haruspex please help me with this one sir!
a little help will be appreciated.
thank you.
So far it has me beat. My guess is that you need to obtain a recurrence relation. That would normally be via integration by parts, but the denominator makes that tough.
Will think about it some more.

Assume the indefinite integral is ##\frac 1 n (f(x))^n##. Then the integrand must be ##f'(x)(f(x))^{n-1}##.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who tried.
I got the solution :)
My teacher laughed at me for not getting such a simple one.
Anyways,
the answer is c = 8.

Saurabh said:
Thanks to everyone who tried.
I got the solution :)
My teacher laughed at me for not getting such a simple one.
Anyways,
the answer is c = 8.

How did you get the answer? Many of us have tried and failed!

Related to Solve Hairy Trig Integral: Find Value of 'c

What is a "hairy" trig integral?

A "hairy" trig integral is a term used to describe an integral that involves trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, tangent) and contains multiple terms that make it difficult to solve using basic techniques.

Why is it important to find the value of 'c' in a trig integral?

The value of 'c' is known as the constant of integration and it is crucial in solving indefinite integrals. Without finding the value of 'c', the solution to the integral would only be partially complete and would not be as accurate or useful.

What techniques can be used to solve a hairy trig integral?

There are several techniques that can be used to solve a hairy trig integral, including substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. Each technique may be more suitable for different types of integrals, so it is important to try different methods to find the most efficient solution.

How can I check if my solution to a hairy trig integral is correct?

The best way to check the solution is to differentiate it. If the result is the original function that was being integrated, then the solution is correct. Additionally, you can use online calculators or software programs to verify your solution.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a hairy trig integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to add the constant of integration, incorrectly applying trigonometric identities, and making algebraic errors. It is important to double check each step and be careful when simplifying the integral.