Solve for x in terms of y (Quadratic formula)

In summary, the conversation discusses using the quadratic formula to solve for x and y in terms of each other in the equation 4x^2 - 4xy + 1 - y^2 = 0. The solution involves finding the values for a, b, and c in the quadratic formula, factoring the numbers inside the square root, and ultimately solving for y in terms of x.
adillhoff

Homework Statement

Use the quadratic formula to solve the equation for (a) x in terms of y and (b) y in terms of x.

Homework Equations

4x^2 - 4xy + 1 - y^2 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure where to start at all. If I could just figure out the values for a, b, and c of the quadratic formula then the rest would be simple (for me). Do you take the values from the current equation like this?

a = 4, b = -4y, c = 1 - y^2

I feel as if I am over analyzing this problem. If anyone could point me to a start that would be greatly appreciated. There are no examples from my textbook that pertain to this exact type of problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you got it.

Thank you for the quick reply. I did run into one more issue with this problem. After plugging in the values into the quadratic formula, I run into this step:

(4y +– sqrt(32y^2 - 16)) / 8

There are numbers inside the sqrt that I could pull out: 32 and -16. My next planned step it to re-arrange the values inside the sqrt as follows:

1) sqrt(32y^2 - 16) = sqrt((16)(2y^2) - (1)(16))
2) (16) * sqrt(2y^2 - 1)

This doesn't seem right though. I keep looking for an example, definition, rule, or law to use in this scenario but can't seem to think of one.

EDIT: Actually, it seems right now that I factored correctly.

1) sqrt(32y^2 - 16) = sqrt((16)(2y^2 - 1))
2) (16) * sqrt(2y^2 - 1)

Then the whole formula will look something like this:

(4y +- 4 * sqrt(2y^2 - 1)) / 8

I can then reduce the fraction to (y +- sqrt(2y^2 - 1)) / 2

I think I've got it! This problem has been stopping me for a while now.

Correct! Now, you've solved half the problem (you've solved for x in terms of y) ... you still need to solve for y in terms of x

Related to Solve for x in terms of y (Quadratic formula)

1. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a mathematical formula used to solve for the value of x in a quadratic equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a.

2. How do you solve for x in terms of y using the quadratic formula?

To solve for x in terms of y, you need to first rearrange the equation to have the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0. Then, you can plug in the given value of y for the variable in the equation and solve for x using the quadratic formula.

3. When should the quadratic formula be used?

The quadratic formula should be used when solving for the roots or solutions of a quadratic equation. This is especially useful when the equation cannot be easily factored.

4. What are the steps for using the quadratic formula?

The steps for using the quadratic formula are as follows:

1. Identify the values of a, b, and c in the equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0.
  2. Plug these values into the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a.
  3. Simplify the equation by performing the necessary calculations.
  4. The resulting values of x are the solutions to the quadratic equation.

5. Can the quadratic formula be used for any type of quadratic equation?

Yes, the quadratic formula can be used to solve any quadratic equation, regardless of the values of a, b, and c. However, if the equation can be easily factored, it may be quicker to solve using that method instead.