Quadratic function minimal value

In summary: Nah.nothing.I learn a lot more things in the process than just the minimal value.Thank you @fresh_42.
YoungPhysicist
Insights Author

Homework Statement

##x,y,z \in \mathbb{R}##, find the minimal value for $$x^2+2y^2+z^2-6x+4y-10z+17$$

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

First I try to use”complete the square” method to make the polynomial something like:
$$(x-3)^2+(\sqrt2y+\sqrt2)^2+(z-5)^2-19$$
Then I am stuck.

Note:This problem is on a univariate quadratic worksheet,so it should be able to be solved using nothing more than that.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you inspect the formula, what do you see?

Likes YoungPhysicist
fresh_42 said:
If you inspect the formula, what do you see?
I think I get it.Is the answer -19?

Young physicist said:
I think I get it.Is the answer -19?
That's the value at the minimum, but the question is about its coordinates. Where is it ##f(x,y,z)=-19## and why is it a minimum? I meant this question "What do you see" quite literally.

fresh_42 said:
but the question is about its coordinates.
I don’t quite get this part.I already answer the question.Why should I focus on the coordinates?

when x = 3, y = -1, z = 5, the entire formula will be eliminated except -19, which is the minimal value of the function.Is that what you meant?

Young physicist said:
I don’t quite get this part.I already answer the question.Why should I focus on the coordinates?

when x = 3, y = -1, z = 5, the entire formula will be eliminated except -19, which is the minimal value of the function.Is that what you meant?
Almost. Where is the minimum? means to name ##x = 3, y = -1, z = 5##, not ##-19##, which would have been: What is the value at the minimum? which wasn't asked. So it is the essential part of an answer, not the version you gave first.

Why is it the minimum? Because all other values contribute positive amounts, as all squares are non-negative. This is the reason, which also should be part of the answer.

What do you see? isn't really necessary to answer, but a good exercise. What we have here is an ellipsoid, a squeezed ball! It also is placed along the coordinate axis, so the minimum will be where it "touches ground". That means we have a global minimum and a unique one.

All these comments I made should be part of a good answer. ##-19## is neither an answer nor good.

Likes YoungPhysicist
So a good answer will be:

Since all squares can only give non negative numbers,when x = 3,y = -1 ,z = 5, all the squares will give “0”, which is the smallest value it can offer, so its constant term -19 will ben the minimum.

fresh_42 said:
What do you see? isn't really necessary to answer, but a good exercise. What we have here is an ellipsoid, a squeezed ball! It also is placed along the coordinate axis, so the minimum will be where it "touches ground". That means we have a global minimum and a unique one.

So do you mean the function shapes like a ellipse? Then how can it be a function?

I don't see a function, only an algebraic expression. But if we wrote ##f(x,y,z)=(x-3)^2+(\sqrt 2 y + \sqrt 2 )^2+(z-5)^2-19## we would get only one image point at each location ##(x,y,z)##, so it is a function. Its graph is four dimensional. It is only then no function, if we want to write it as, e.g. ##z= \ldots## However, to do so, we need an equation, which I do not see we have.

As I said it is an ellipsoid, I meant it's level sets: ##f(x,y,z)-19 = c## for a certain level ##c##. These points solve an equation and the result looks like a football, e.g. for ##c=0##: https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(x-3)^2+(root(2)y+root(2))^2+(z-5)^2=19

fresh_42 said:
That's the value at the minimum, but the question is about its coordinates. Where is it ##f(x,y,z)=-19## and why is it a minimum? I meant this question "What do you see" quite literally.

Actually, the OP is correct; the question asks for the "minimal value for ... ", which is the -19 in this case. Nevertheless, you are correct in pointing out to the OP that a more meaningful answer would be something like "the minimum value of ##f## is -19, and occurs at ##(3,-1,5).## Perhaps the person setting the question should have done a better job.

Ray Vickson said:
Actually, the OP is correct; the question asks for the "minimal value for ...
Oops, and sorry @Young physicist. Quite a rare question.

fresh_42 said:
Oops, and sorry @Young physicist. Quite a rare question.
Nah.nothing.I learn a lot more things in the process than just the minimal value.Thank you @fresh_42

Likes fresh_42

Related to Quadratic function minimal value

1. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a mathematical function of the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the independent variable. It is a type of polynomial function and has a parabolic shape when graphed.

2. What is the minimal value of a quadratic function?

The minimal value of a quadratic function is the lowest point on the parabola, also known as the vertex. It is the smallest possible output of the function and occurs at the x-value of -b/2a.

3. How do you find the minimal value of a quadratic function?

The minimal value of a quadratic function can be found using the formula -b/2a, where b and a are the coefficients of the x^2 and x terms, respectively. This x-value can then be substituted into the original function to find the corresponding y-value.

4. Can a quadratic function have a negative minimal value?

Yes, a quadratic function can have a negative minimal value. This occurs when the parabola opens downwards, meaning the coefficient of the x^2 term (a) is negative. In this case, the minimal value would be the highest point on the parabola.

5. How can the minimal value of a quadratic function be used in real life?

The minimal value of a quadratic function can be used in various real-life situations, such as finding the minimum or maximum point of a curved surface, optimizing resources in business or economics, and determining the minimum or maximum cost of a product. It can also be used in physics to find the minimum or maximum velocity or acceleration of an object.