Solve for the slope and length of a line segment

In summary, the problem asks for the slope and length of a hypotenuse, given a single point and the area of a shaded area.
Husaaved
Pmb61gZ.jpg

The problem is to a.) solve for the slope m of the hypotenuse of the right triangle indicated by the shaded area, and b.) solve for the length of the hypotenuse, if possible. I made a mistake in transcribing the problem onto paper, the line of course extends indefinitely but the shaded area and the length of the line bounded by the y- and x-axes are all that are of interest.

The area of the shaded area is 4, and a single point along the line are all that is given. I get also that a (0, y) and (x, 0) are also given, and I know that the point-slope formula is y - y1 = m(x - x1, but I'm not sure in what way to apply this information to the problem.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Husaaved said:
Pmb61gZ.jpg

The problem is to a.) solve for the slope m of the hypotenuse of the right triangle indicated by the shaded area, and b.) solve for the length of the hypotenuse, if possible. I made a mistake in transcribing the problem onto paper, the line of course extends indefinitely but the shaded area and the length of the line bounded by the y- and x-axes are all that are of interest.

The area of the shaded area is 4, and a single point along the line are all that is given. I get also that a (0, y) and (x, 0) are also given, and I know that the point-slope formula is y - y1 = m(x - x1, but I'm not sure in what way to apply this information to the problem.

Any thoughts?

There are two pieces of information given, the area and a point on the line. A good starting point would be to write down the area in terms of a formula. ##A=\frac{1}{2}bh##.

You have two unknowns, so you need another equation so you can substitute variables to solve for the other.

Think about slope.

Edit: That might have been too vague. How can you relate x and y together using slope? Then use that relationship in the area formula to solve for x and y.

Last edited:
Husaaved said:

Any thoughts?

You know x1=2 and y1=1. Plug in these data into the formula y-y1=m(x-x1) *

Denote the X-intercept by a and the Y intercept by b. How do you get the shaded area in terms of a and b?

You get equations for a and b in terms of m by substituting (a,0) and (0,b) into eq. *.

Related to Solve for the slope and length of a line segment

1. What is the formula for finding the slope of a line segment?

The slope of a line segment is calculated by dividing the change in y-values by the change in x-values. This can be represented by the formula: slope = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1).

2. How do I find the length of a line segment?

The length of a line segment can be found by using the distance formula, which is the square root of the sum of the squared differences in the x and y coordinates of the two endpoints of the line.

3. Can the slope of a line segment be negative?

Yes, the slope of a line segment can be negative. This indicates a downward slope or a negative correlation between the x and y values. If the slope is positive, it indicates an upward slope or a positive correlation.

4. What does a slope of 0 mean?

A slope of 0 means that the line segment is horizontal, with no change in the y-values as the x-values increase. This can also be represented by a straight line with a y-intercept.

5. Can a line segment have an undefined slope?

Yes, a line segment can have an undefined slope. This happens when the change in x-values is 0, resulting in a division by 0 error. This indicates a vertical line, where the x-value remains constant while the y-value changes.