Slope of Linear function

In summary, the two possible slopes of a line passing through (4,3) so that the portion of the line in the first quadrant forms a triangle of area 27 with the positive coordinate axes are -3/2 and -3/8. These can be found by setting up an equation using the two-intercept form of the line and solving for the slope, or by using a single variable and finding the roots of a quadratic equation.
Ibraheem
Member warned about posting problems without the template and with no effort
Hello,
I'm having a hard time solving a linear function slope problem.So I would be thankful if someone could provide me with an answer and explanation of the problem.

The problem is the following: Find the possible slopes of a line that passes through(4,3) so that the portion of the line in the first quadrant forms a triangle of area 27 with the positive coordinate axes.

Physics news on Phys.org
To determine the triangle area you will need to calculate where the line crosses the axes.
Start with a drawing. Give the general form of a line through (4,3) with slope m and solve x for y = 0 and y for x = 0.

Are you able to see how a line can form the hypotenuse of a right triangle with the positive coordinate axes?

Chet

I've tried to find where the line crosses the axes, but I ended up with many variables with no answer.

I would really appreciate it if you could provide the answer with an explanation.

Show us the details of what you did. Then we can help you. That's what this is all about.

Chet

Sorry for not posting my solution attempt. I'm Kind of new to this website.

I assumed that one of the possible lines crosses the x-axis at (a,0) and the y-axis at (0,b) and that a*b=54 since (Area of triangle*2 )=27*2=ab. I used the the two-intercept form of the line equation.

The solution attempt: (-b*x/a)+b=y → bx+ay=ab →4b+3a=54
this is where I ended up
I tried to assigning numbers to satisfy the equation 4b+3a=54 , and the results I got was( a=12 and b=4.5) and (b=9 and a=6)
so the slopes are (-3/2) and (-3/8)

I don't know if there is any other possible slopes or how to make sure there isn't. Also, is there a way to find the slopes without ending up assigning numbers to satisfy 4b+3a=ab; that is, a way to find the answer without dealing with two variables.

Ibraheem said:

I assumed that one of the possible lines crosses the x-axis at (a,0) and the y-axis at (0,b) and that a*b=54 since (Area of triangle*2 )=27*2=ab. I used the the two-intercept form of the line equation.

You were very close to having it solved.

You can still use ab= 54 again by substituting for either b or a in the above equation. This will give you an equation exclusively in terms of either a or b.

Chet

Ibraheem said:

this is where I ended up
I tried to assigning numbers to satisfy the equation 4b+3a=54 , and the results I got was( a=12 and b=4.5) and (b=9 and a=6)
so the slopes are (-3/2) and (-3/8)

I don't know if there is any other possible slopes or how to make sure there isn't. Also, is there a way to find the slopes without ending up assigning numbers to satisfy 4b+3a=ab; that is, a way to find the answer without dealing with two variables.

Those are the only two solutions. The easiest way to see this is to use a single variable (slope = ##-s##), and write the equation of the line as
[tex] y = 3 - s(x-4)[/tex]
Note that when ##x = 4## we have ##y = 3##, as we need; and the slope is ##-s##, as stated. You can find the x- and y-intercepts in terms of ##s##: to find the x-intercept ##B## (= "base"), set ##y = 0## and solve for ##x## in terms of ##s##. To find the y-intercept ##H## (= "height"), just put ##x = 0##. Now the area ##A = \frac{1}{2} BH## becomes a function of ##s##. Setting ##A = 27## yields a quadratic equation for ##s##, so has at most two roots. In this case it does have exactly two positive, real roots that you can find using the quadratic-root formula.

Related to Slope of Linear function

What is the definition of slope of a linear function?

The slope of a linear function is a measure of the steepness or incline of the line. It represents the rate of change between two points on the line and is calculated by dividing the change in the y-values by the change in the x-values.

How is the slope of a linear function represented?

The slope of a linear function is typically represented by the letter "m" in the slope-intercept form of a linear equation: y = mx + b. It can also be represented by the symbol Δy/Δx, which is read as "change in y over change in x."

What is the significance of the slope of a linear function?

The slope of a linear function has several important implications. It can indicate the direction of the line (positive slope goes up to the right, negative slope goes down to the right), the rate of change of the dependent variable (y) with respect to the independent variable (x), and the steepness or flatness of the line.

How do you calculate the slope of a linear function?

The slope of a linear function can be calculated using the formula: slope = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are any two points on the line. Alternatively, the slope can also be found by counting the rise and run of the line and taking the ratio of the two.

What are some real-life applications of understanding the slope of a linear function?

The slope of a linear function has many real-life applications, such as calculating the speed of an object in motion, determining the rate of change of a stock's value over time, and calculating the slope of a roof for construction purposes. It is also used in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to analyze and make predictions based on data.