Solve for K for Continuity of f(2) at @=0

• Thread starter Hygelac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, The conversation is about finding a value of K that would make the function f(@) = ((2sin@)/@, @!=0) and (5k, @=0) continuous at @=0. The suggested approach is to set 5k equal to the limit of 2sin(@)/@ as @ approaches 0, and then use l'Hopital's rule to simplify the limit. However, this approach does not work as the function is not defined at @=0. Instead, the correct approach is to set k equal to 1/5 times the limit of 2sin(@)/@ as @ approaches 0.
Hygelac
Hi, I have just one more problem :) here it is:

(because I don't know how to do theta, "@" will equal theta)

Find a value of K so that f(2) is continuous at @=0

( != means "not equal")

Code:
f(@) = ( (2sin@)/@ , @ !=0 )
       ( 5k , @=0 )

f(@) is a piecewise function

I don't know how to get started on this problem, any help would be much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The simplest way would be to set 5k = lim(@->0)[2sin(@)/@]

Using l'hopital's rule, lim(@->0)[2sin(@)/@] = lim(@->0)[2cos(@)/1]

I think you can do the rest :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Whops, it shoudl be f(@) not f(2)

So,

5k = (2sin(@))/@

k = [(2sin(@))/@]/5

Would that work, or did I totally miss your point?

Hygelac said:
Whops, it shoudl be f(@) not f(2)

So,

5k = (2sin(@))/@

k = [(2sin(@))/@]/5

Would that work, or did I totally miss your point?

I think you may have because that doesn't work. that function is not defined at @ = 0 so you have to use limits. k = 1/5 * limit[@->0](2sin(@)/@)

Related to Solve for K for Continuity of f(2) at @=0

1. What does it mean to solve for K for continuity of f(2) at @=0?

When we say "solve for K for continuity of f(2) at @=0," we are asking for the value of K that will make the function f(x) continuous at x=0. This means that the function is defined and has the same output from both the left and right sides of x=0.

2. Why is it important to solve for K for continuity of f(2) at @=0?

Solving for K is important because it ensures that the function is continuous at x=0. Continuity is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is necessary for many applications, such as in physics and engineering.

3. How do I solve for K for continuity of f(2) at @=0?

To solve for K, we need to set up an equation where the left and right limits of the function at x=0 are equal. This will result in an equation with K as the variable. We can then solve for K by using algebraic techniques or by using a graphing calculator.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving for K for continuity of f(2) at @=0?

One common mistake is forgetting to check the left and right limits separately. Both sides must be equal for the function to be continuous at x=0. Another mistake is not paying attention to the domain of the function, as some values of K may result in a discontinuous function.

5. Can I solve for K for continuity of f(2) at @=0 if the function is not continuous at x=0?

No, if the function is not continuous at x=0, there is no value of K that will make it continuous. In this case, we say that the function is discontinuous at x=0.