Solve Fluid Mechanics Homework: Q, m, t, P

In summary, we can determine the volumetric flow rate and mass flow rate of hot oil flowing through a pipe, and use these values to calculate the pressure at the inlet and the time it takes to fill a tank with a given volume. The volumetric flow rate is 2.514*10^-4 m^3/s and the mass flow rate is 0.18 kg/s. Using the dimensions of these quantities, we can determine the time it takes to fill a tank by accumulating the desired volume with a given flow rate. The pressure at the inlet can be calculated to be 16kPa by dividing the applied force by the area of the pipe.
smosikas

Homework Statement

A hot oil(specific gravity = 0.7) flows through a pipe of 4 cm internal diameter, at a velocity of 0.2 m/s. Determine:i) The volumetric flow rate of the oil discharged from the pipe.
ii) The mass flow rate of the oil discharged from the pipe.
iii) If the pipe discharges the oil to a tank of 3 m^3 volume, how long does it take to fill the tank?
iv) If the force applied to the pipe inlet due to the oil flow is 20N, find the inlet pressure.

The attempt at a solution:

i) Volumetric flow rate: Q=vA
A= πr^2 --> A= π*0.02^2 = 1.257*10^-3 m^2
Q= 0.2*1.257*10^-3= 2.514*10^-4 m^3/s

ii) Mass flow rate: m=ρQ
Specific Gravity : SG=ρ(oil)/ρ(water) -> ρ(oil)=SG*ρ(water) -> ρ(oil)= 0.7*1000= 700 kg/m^3
m= 700*2.514*10^-4 = 0.18 kg/s

iii) ?

iv)Pressure= force/area -> P=20/1.257*10^-3 = 15910.89Pa = 16kPA

Hi, I am having tough times trying to solve this question. If You find it easy please teach me! Any help will be greatly appreciated! Because i can't seem to wrap my head around this question :(

Physics news on Phys.org
You have gotten the same answers I got. I think you may have it!

Thank you! But what about the time it takes to fill the tank?

smosikas said:
Thank you! But what about the time it takes to fill the tank?
That should be the easiest one of all to figure.

Look, if you put X cubic meters per second into a tank which has a total capacity of Y cubic meters, what amount of time does this take?

After 1 second, there is X cubic meters in the tank; after 2 seconds, there is 2X; etc., etc. Rinse and repeat until you have accumulated Y cubic meters.

You should be able to solve this using the dimensions of the quantities alone.

Thank you! i thought there was more to it than that

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids in motion. It involves the analysis of how fluids behave under different conditions and how they interact with their surroundings.

2. What do the variables Q, m, t, and P represent in fluid mechanics?

Q represents the flow rate, which is the volume of fluid passing through a given point in a certain amount of time. M represents the mass of the fluid, t represents time, and P represents pressure.

3. How can I solve problems involving fluid mechanics?

To solve problems in fluid mechanics, you will need to apply the principles of conservation of mass, momentum, and energy. This involves setting up equations and using known values to solve for unknowns.

4. What are some real-world applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has many applications in our daily lives, including the design of hydraulic systems, pumps and turbines, airplane wings, and even the flow of blood in our bodies. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and marine engineering.

5. How can I improve my understanding of fluid mechanics?

To improve your understanding of fluid mechanics, it is important to practice solving problems and to review the fundamental principles and equations. It can also be helpful to conduct experiments or simulations to visualize fluid behavior and gain a deeper understanding of the concepts. Additionally, seeking guidance from a knowledgeable instructor or tutor can also greatly benefit your understanding of the subject.