How to Determine Pi Groups for Fluid Flow Through an Orifice

In summary: There isn't much to help you without more information. Can you please provide a hint as to what you did wrong?
Capablecactus

Homework Statement

a) A orifice, diameter d (m), in the walls of a tank discharges water under a head, h (m), subjected to gravitational acceleration, g (m/s2). If the fluid has density, ρ (kg/m3)and viscosity, μ (Ns/m2), show that the quantity of fluid Q (m3/s) flowing out of the tank may be expressed by the equation.

Homework Equations

Q= h^2 √gh ϕ( μ/(ρ√g h^(3/2) ) ,h/d)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been struggling on this for over a week. I've worked out there's 3 Pi group and i have all the units in dimensional format eg ρ= M/L^3

I can't seem to work out which repeating variables to use, when ot which pi group.Any help or pointers with this would be very much appreciated as i know how to do the next stages.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi, welcome to physicsforums :)
yeah, you're right, there are 3 Pi groups. So, what does their equation show?
Maybe it is easier to look at it like Q/(h^2 √gh) = ϕ( μ/(ρ√g h^(3/2) ) ,h/d)

Capablecactus said:

Homework Statement

a) A orifice, diameter d (m), in the walls of a tank discharges water under a head, h (m), subjected to gravitational acceleration, g (m/s2). If the fluid has density, ρ (kg/m3)and viscosity, μ (Ns/m2), show that the quantity of fluid Q (m3/s) flowing out of the tank may be expressed by the equation.

Homework Equations

Q= h^2 √gh ϕ( μ/(ρ√g h^(3/2) ) ,h/d)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been struggling on this for over a week. I've worked out there's 3 Pi group and i have all the units in dimensional format eg ρ= M/L^3

I can't seem to work out which repeating variables to use, when ot which pi group.Any help or pointers with this would be very much appreciated as i know how to do the next stages.
It's hard to help unless you show us what you did.

Chet

Related to How to Determine Pi Groups for Fluid Flow Through an Orifice

1. What is Buckingham pi theorem and how is it used in fluid mechanics?

The Buckingham pi theorem is a mathematical tool used in fluid mechanics to determine the relationship between physical variables in a problem. It states that if a problem involves n variables and m fundamental dimensions, then the problem can be reduced to n-m dimensionless parameters called pi terms. These pi terms can then be used to form dimensionless groups that relate the variables in the problem.

2. What is a dimensionless group and how is it used in Buckingham pi theorem?

A dimensionless group is a group of variables that have the same dimensions and can be combined using multiplication or division to form a dimensionless quantity. In Buckingham pi theorem, these dimensionless groups are formed using the pi terms, which helps to simplify and solve fluid mechanics problems by reducing the number of variables involved.

3. Can the Buckingham pi theorem be applied to all fluid mechanics problems?

Yes, the Buckingham pi theorem can be applied to all fluid mechanics problems as long as the problem involves a finite number of variables and fundamental dimensions. It is a universal theorem that can be used to solve problems in various fields of science and engineering.

4. How is Buckingham pi theorem related to dimensional analysis?

Buckingham pi theorem is closely related to dimensional analysis as it uses the principles of dimensional analysis to solve problems in fluid mechanics. Dimensional analysis involves determining the dimensions of physical quantities and using them to form dimensionless groups, which is the basis of the Buckingham pi theorem.

5. What are some applications of Buckingham pi theorem in fluid mechanics?

Buckingham pi theorem has various applications in fluid mechanics, including determining the performance of pumps and turbines, analyzing flow in pipes and channels, and studying boundary layer flows. It is also used in aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and other fields of engineering to analyze and solve complex problems involving fluid flow.