Solve Exponential Function: Expansion of e^x & Sin/Cos x

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of linear system differential equations and solving it using the exponential method. The power series of the exponential function, e^x, is mentioned and it is suggested to substitute x \rightarrow -x to find the power series of e^{-x}. The power series of the sine and cosine functions are also mentioned and it is recommended to memorize or derive their series expansions. The conversation ends with a thank you for the help.
Kenji Liew

Homework Statement

This topic is under linear system differential equation.Solve the system by using exponential method. Just want to ask the expansion of exponential function

Homework Equations

e^x=1+x+(x^2)/2!+(x^3)/3!+...

The Attempt at a Solution

then how about the e^(-x)=?
Besides what is the function of sin x and cos x in continued function (such in e^x)?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The power series of the exponential, [itex]e^x[/itex], is [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n/n![/itex].

So if you have [itex]e^{-x}[/itex] you can compute the power series by substituting [itex]x \rightarrow -x[/itex] into the power series. Try it out.

I don't understand your second question. Are you asking for the power series of the sine and cosine? Or for the complex exponential representation?

Cyosis said:
The power series of the exponential, [itex]e^x[/itex], is [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n/n![/itex].

So if you have [itex]e^{-x}[/itex] you can compute the power series by substituting [itex]x \rightarrow -x[/itex] into the power series. Try it out.

I don't understand your second question. Are you asking for the power series of the sine and cosine? Or for the complex exponential representation?

Thanks for the first part.
I just now find the cosine x can be written in cosine x=1-(x^2)/2!+(x^4)/4!+...
I really no idea what this series call for...
How about the sine x?

It's called the series expansion of the sine/cosine or the power series of the sine/cosine. I would suggest memorizing/deriving the series expansions for the more common functions.

Check this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_seriesp out for a list of series expansions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyosis said:
It's called the series expansion of the sine/cosine or the power series of the sine/cosine. I would suggest memorizing/deriving the series expansions for the more common functions.

Check this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_seriesp out for a list of series expansions.

Thanks a lot. You really help me up! =)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solve Exponential Function: Expansion of e^x & Sin/Cos x

What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in which the variable appears in the exponent. It is written in the form y = a^x, where a is a constant and x is the variable.

What is the expansion of e^x?

The expansion of e^x is an infinite series that represents the value of the exponential function e^x. It is written as 1 + x + (x^2 / 2!) + (x^3 / 3!) + ... = ∑(x^n / n!).

How do you solve an exponential function?

To solve an exponential function, you can use logarithms or take the natural log (ln) of both sides. You can also use the expansion of e^x to find the value of the function at a specific x-value.

What is the expansion of sin/cos x?

The expansion of sin x and cos x is a series of terms that represent the values of these trigonometric functions. It is written as sin x = x - (x^3 / 3!) + (x^5 / 5!) - (x^7 / 7!) + ... = ∑((-1)^n * (x^(2n+1) / (2n+1)!)) and cos x = 1 - (x^2 / 2!) + (x^4 / 4!) - (x^6 / 6!) + ... = ∑((-1)^n * (x^(2n) / (2n)!)).

How do you use the expansion of e^x and sin/cos x to solve problems?

The expansion of e^x and sin/cos x can be used to approximate values of these functions at specific x-values. It can also be used to solve differential equations and find the values of integrals involving these functions.