Solve Epsilon & Delta for Homework Statement

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving a graphing calculator, but made several mistakes. They were not able to find a delta that worked for a given epsilon.
goodz

Homework Statement

For the limit below, find values of δ that correspond to the ε values.
symimage.gif

Homework Equations

epsilon = .5
and
epsilon = .05

The Attempt at a Solution

These kinds of problems do you have to use a graphing calculator to figure it out?
for epsilon = .05
|(9x + x - 3x^3)-7|<.05
6.95<(9+x-3x^3)<7.05

and I graph it, i get x = about -.75548, y=6.95
x = -.73803, y=7.05

i get |x-1|<0.2619

but its incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
Algebra could be used, couldn't it? Isn't solving quadratic inequalities one of the things they teach in pre-calculus?

(I haven't checked your arithmetic, I'm assuming it's right)

Anyways, you are misunderstand something. You did discover* that the interval** (-7.55, -7.39) does have the property that, for every x in it, f(x) lies within the interval (6.95, 7.95).

But that interval is not described by the inequality |x-1|<0.2619...

*: Well, more precisely, you have some evidence to suggest it. To really be confident in it, you have to find some algebraic proof, or a deeper understanding of approximations and conic functions.
**: Of course, you found a slightly larger interval, but the difference isn't really relevant.

Last edited:
goodz said:
These kinds of problems do you have to use a graphing calculator to figure it out?
for epsilon = .05
|(9x + x - 3x^3)-7|<.05
6.95<(9+x-3x^3)<7.05

and I graph it, i get x = about -.75548, y=6.95
x = -.73803, y=7.05
Try again! First off, those values are nowhere near 1. That should have been a first hint. Secondly, those values do not yield anything close to 7. The values for 9+x-3x3 for x=-0.75548 and x=-0.73803 are 2.538 and 2.438.

i get |x-1|<0.2619

but its incorrect
You made another mistake here. -0.75-1=-1.75, not 0.25.

Try considering three separate limits and make use of the triangle inequality to find a delta that'll work for a given epsilon. That way you won't have a hard cubic to solve.

Related to Solve Epsilon & Delta for Homework Statement

What is "Epsilon & Delta" in the context of homework statements?

Epsilon & Delta refer to the symbols used in the definition of a limit in calculus. Epsilon (ε) represents a small, positive number and Delta (δ) represents a small change in the input variable.

Why is it important to solve for Epsilon & Delta in a homework statement?

Solving for Epsilon & Delta allows us to prove that a limit exists and determine the value of the limit. It is an essential step in understanding and applying the concept of limits in calculus.

What are the steps to solve for Epsilon & Delta in a homework statement?

The steps to solve for Epsilon & Delta in a homework statement are as follows: 1) Start with the definition of a limit. 2) Identify the given values and variables. 3) Manipulate the expression using algebraic techniques. 4) Choose a suitable value for Delta and solve for Epsilon. 5) Prove that the limit holds for all values of Delta less than Epsilon.

What are some common mistakes when solving for Epsilon & Delta in a homework statement?

Some common mistakes when solving for Epsilon & Delta include incorrect algebraic manipulations, choosing an inappropriate value for Delta, and not proving that the limit holds for all values of Delta less than Epsilon. It is important to carefully follow each step and double-check your work to avoid these errors.

How can I improve my understanding of solving for Epsilon & Delta in homework statements?

To improve your understanding of solving for Epsilon & Delta, practice solving a variety of problems and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It is also helpful to review the concept of limits and understand how Epsilon & Delta fit into the larger concept of calculus. Additionally, explain your steps and thought process to someone else, as teaching someone else can solidify your own understanding.