Solve Electromagnetism: Gold Nugget Net Charge Problem

In summary, to find the net charge of a 1.0-g nugget of pure gold after removing 1.0% of its electrons, first find the mass of a gold atom from a table. Then, obtain the number of gold atoms by dividing 1.0g by the mass of a gold atom. Multiply this by the atomic number of gold to get the number of electrons. After removing 1.0% of these electrons, add the remaining electrons and protons to obtain the net charge. In regards to a long cylinder with uniform polarisation, the electric field inside the cylinder can be found, and the field outside the cylinder can be expressed as E=Rsquared/3 times
y1k8a
1. Suppose a 1.0-g nugget of pure gold has zero net charge. What would be its net charge after it has 1.0% of its electrons removed?
please help! i don't know what to do

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Find the mass of a gold atom from a table.
2. Obtain the number of gold atoms. i.e. (# of atoms) = 1.0g / (mass of a gold atom)
3. (# of electrons) = (# of gold atoms) x (atomic number of gold)

I guess this is enough for the hint?

after obtaining the electrons, i will get the 1% of electrons removed then ill add the electrons and protons to obtain the net charge? am i correct?

A very long cylinder of radius R, carries a uniform polarisationP perpendicular to it's axis.Find the electric field in side the cylinder. Show that the field outside the cylinder can be expressed in the form
E=Rsquared divided

Related to Solve Electromagnetism: Gold Nugget Net Charge Problem

What is the problem with the gold nugget net charge in electromagnetism?

The problem with the gold nugget net charge in electromagnetism is that it is difficult to determine the exact charge of a gold nugget due to its irregular shape and composition. This can make it challenging to accurately calculate its electromagnetic properties.

Why is it important to solve this problem?

Solving the gold nugget net charge problem is important because understanding the electromagnetism of gold is crucial for various industries, such as electronics and mining. It can also help in the development of new technologies and materials.

What factors affect the net charge of a gold nugget?

The net charge of a gold nugget can be affected by several factors, including its size, shape, and composition. The type of environment it is in, such as the presence of other materials or external electric fields, can also impact its net charge.

How can this problem be solved?

This problem can be solved through various methods, such as using mathematical equations to estimate the charge based on the physical properties of the gold nugget. Another approach is to conduct experiments and measurements to determine the net charge.

What are some potential challenges in solving this problem?

Some potential challenges in solving the gold nugget net charge problem include the complexity of the gold nugget's shape and composition, the accuracy of the measurements and calculations, and the effect of external factors on its net charge. Additionally, the lack of standardized methods for measuring and calculating net charge can also pose a challenge.