Solve Elastic Collision Homework: Neutron Mass m0

In summary, the problem involves a neutron of mass m0 colliding with an immobile atomic nucleus of carbon with mass m=12m0. The collision is central and elastic. The question is asking how many times the kinetic energy of the neutron decreases during the collision. The equations used involve finding the relative change in velocity and kinetic energy before and after the collision. The answer is 1.4 times.
lydiazmi

Homework Statement

A neutron of mass m0 collides with an immobile atomic nucleus of carbon of mass m=12m0. Collision is considered central and elastic. how many times does the kinetic energy of neutron decreases during the collision.

Homework Equations

m=12m0

m0v0=mu-m0u

(m0v02)/2=(mu2)/2-(m0u02)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

v0= (mu-m0u0)/m0=
=(12m0u-m0u0)/m0=
=12u-u0

u=(v0+u0)/12
u2=(v02+2u0v0+u02)/144

v02=12u2-u02

u2=(v02+u02)/12

(v02+2u0v0+u02)/144=(v02+u02)/12

0=11u02-2u0v0+11v02)

I'm stuck here. I know tht I hv to find x=(u02)/(1v02) because (m0u02)/2=x(m0v02)/2
u02=xv02

(the answer is 1.4 times)

Physics news on Phys.org
Take this equation
v0 =12u+u0 and square it to get
v0^2 = 144u^2 + 24u0u + u0^2
You also have this equation
v0^2=12u^2 + u0^2
So equate those and that leads to
132 u = - 24u0

Substitute this into the first equation I wrote, to see the relative change in velocity, then square it for change in kinetic energy.

but m>m0. Shouldnt u0 be negative in both equ?

But it can be negative, you could solve these equations and get u0<0 which would indicate that it is traveling in the other direction.

In this equation tho you stated incorrectly.
(m0v02)/2=(mu2)/2-(m0u02)/2

Since velocity is squared kinetic energy is allows positive. So Kinetic energy before must equal sum of kinetic energies after the collision.
(m0v02)/2=(mu2)/2+(m0u02)/2

I agree with Mr.A.Gibson in all the above posts.

yea2, ur right! got it, thank u very much!

Related to Solve Elastic Collision Homework: Neutron Mass m0

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before and after the collision remains the same.

How do you calculate the mass of a neutron?

The mass of a neutron can be calculated using the formula m=m0/√(1-v^2/c^2), where m0 is the rest mass of the neutron, v is the velocity of the neutron, and c is the speed of light.

What is the rest mass of a neutron?

The rest mass of a neutron, denoted by m0, is approximately 1.675 x 10^-27 kilograms.

How does the mass of a neutron affect an elastic collision?

The mass of a neutron is an important factor in determining the outcome of an elastic collision. The higher the mass, the more difficult it is to change the velocity of the neutron during the collision. This can affect the final velocities of both particles involved in the collision.

What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions include the collision of billiard balls, the bouncing of a basketball, and the collision of molecules in a gas. In these scenarios, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, and the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy.