Solve Einstein's Riddle: Which Plane Is Closer to Paris?

• Thread starter Highlander
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riddle
In summary, two planes are flying across the Atlantic, one from New York to Paris at 500 miles per hour and the other from Paris to New York at 450 miles per hour due to a strong head wind. When they meet, neither will be closer to Paris as they will be the same distance away from the city. This question is not as challenging as Einstein's famous brain teaser.
Highlander
Two planes take off at the same exact moment. They are flying across the Atlantic. One leaves New York and is flying to Paris at 500 miles per hour. The other leaves Paris and is flying to New York at only 450 miles per hour ( because of a strong head wind ). Which one will be closer to Paris when they meet?

P.S. This is not Einstein's by the way, LOL!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Answer:
Neither - they're the same distance.
Aha. I Almost fell for it...

The white letters don't work anymore with the new skin. :biggrin:

I know! My first response originally moaned about that - and having to switch to Silver - until I realized that Silver doesn't work either. So I just dropped it.

DaveC426913 said:
I know! My first response originally moaned about that - and having to switch to Silver - until I realized that Silver doesn't work either. So I just dropped it.
White out code -- see the brain teaser sticky thread

Related to Solve Einstein's Riddle: Which Plane Is Closer to Paris?

1. What is Einstein's Riddle and why is it important?

Einstein's Riddle is a logic puzzle created by Albert Einstein, a renowned scientist, and is known for being quite challenging. It is important as it tests one's ability to think logically and critically, skills that are essential for scientific research and problem-solving.

2. How does the riddle go and what are the rules?

The riddle goes as follows: There are five houses in a row, each with a different color, and their owners have different nationalities, smoke different kinds of cigarettes, and keep different pets. The goal is to figure out who owns the fish based on the clues provided. The rules are that each house is inhabited by a single person, no two people have the same nationality, smoke the same cigarette, or keep the same pet.

3. What is the solution to the riddle?

The solution to the riddle is that the green house is the one closest to Paris, and its owner is the one who owns the fish. However, the process of reaching this solution involves careful deduction and elimination of possibilities, making it a challenging and satisfying puzzle to solve.

4. Can the riddle be solved using a scientific approach?

Yes, the riddle can be solved using a scientific approach, as it involves using logical reasoning and critical thinking skills. It also requires the ability to analyze and interpret information, which are essential skills in the scientific method.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the riddle?

While the riddle itself does not have any direct real-life applications, the skills and techniques used to solve it, such as logical reasoning, critical thinking, and problem-solving, can be applied in various scientific fields, including research and experimental design.