Solve Eigenvector Equation: Prove Roots are Scalars

• Thread starter student85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvector
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving covariant components of two tensors and the determinant equation for \lambda. The goal is to prove that the roots of this equation are scalars, meaning they are dependent on T_ab and S_ab in a way that makes them invariant under transformations to another reference frame. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and seeking suggestions for the best approach.
student85
Hi, this is actually for my general relativity class, but I thought I would get more help in the math section of the forums, since it involves very little physics, or even not at all.

Homework Statement

Take Tab and Sab to be the covariant components of two tensors. Consider the determinant equation for [itex]\lambda[/itex] :

| [tex]\lambda[/tex]Tab - Sab |= 0

Prove that the roots of this equation are scalars, making clear what you mean by scalar.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well If I solve for the determinant I think I should get a quartic equation for the eigenvalues [itex]\lambda[/itex] of the form
[tex]\lambda[/tex]^4 + a1[tex]\lambda[/tex]^3 + a2[tex]\lambda[/tex]^2 + a3[tex]\lambda[/tex] + a4 = 0
Or not? Will I get an equation involving the components of the tensors T and S??
I just want to make sure I am understanding the question and I'm headed in the right path.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you need to show that the eigenvalues are dependent on T_ab and S_ab in such a way that makes them invariant under transformations to another reference frame. Is that how "scalar" is defined in GR?

There's probably a clever way to answer the question that won't involve writing out the equations in detail.

I just don't know where to start. Do you suggest getting the determinant of the matrix and equaling that to 0? That will take so long. Is there some theorem or something? Anybody know? :S

Sorry I don't think I know enough to help. I'm only studying special relativity, so I don't know how to interpret this determinant equation.

Yeah this is a pretty weird problem. One of my classmates is helping me now :)
Thanks anyway

Related to Solve Eigenvector Equation: Prove Roots are Scalars

1. What is an eigenvector equation?

An eigenvector equation is a mathematical equation used to find the eigenvectors of a given matrix. It is represented as Ax = λx, where A is the matrix, x is the eigenvector, and λ is the corresponding eigenvalue.

2. How do you solve an eigenvector equation?

To solve an eigenvector equation, you need to find the eigenvalues of the matrix first. Then, for each eigenvalue, you need to find the corresponding eigenvector by substituting the eigenvalue into the eigenvector equation and solving for x.

3. Why is it important to prove that the roots of an eigenvector equation are scalars?

Proving that the roots of an eigenvector equation are scalars is important because it helps to verify the validity of the solution. If the roots are not scalars, then the solution may be incorrect.

4. How do you prove that the roots of an eigenvector equation are scalars?

The roots of an eigenvector equation can be proven to be scalars by using mathematical properties and principles, such as the properties of matrices and determinants.

5. Can the roots of an eigenvector equation be complex numbers?

Yes, the roots of an eigenvector equation can be complex numbers. This is because eigenvalues can be complex numbers and the eigenvector equation includes eigenvalues as part of the solution.