Solve Eigenvalue Problem: q, x, A, Ak

In summary, if q is an eigenvalue of a square matrix A with corresponding eigenvector x, then qk is also an eigenvalue of Ak and x is a corresponding eigenvector. This can be shown by using the definition of an eigenvalue and simplifying the equation (Ak-qkI)x=0.
Lanthanum

Homework Statement

Given that q is an eigenvalue of a square matrix A with corresponding eigenvector x, show that qk is an eigenvalue of Ak and x is a corresponding eigenvector.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I really haven't been able to get far, but;

If x is an eigenvector of A corresponding to q, then;
0=(A-qI)x
To complete the proof I need to use this equation to show that (Ak-qkI)x=0, and this is where I'm having trouble.
If anyone has time to help I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you might want to use a different definition of an eigenvalue. Then the proof is really easy, with like hardly any algebra at all.
(edit: well, rearrange the one you have, I guess)

Related to Solve Eigenvalue Problem: q, x, A, Ak

1. What is an eigenvalue problem?

An eigenvalue problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding certain values, called eigenvalues, that satisfy a specific equation. These values are used to determine the behavior and properties of a given system or matrix.

2. What is the role of q in solving an eigenvalue problem?

Q is typically used to represent the eigenvalue in an eigenvalue problem. It is a scalar value that, when multiplied by a given vector, results in the same vector multiplied by a constant. This constant is the eigenvalue.

3. How do you solve an eigenvalue problem?

To solve an eigenvalue problem, you need to first find the characteristic polynomial of the given matrix A. This is done by finding the determinant of (A - qI), where I is the identity matrix. Then, the eigenvalues can be determined by setting this polynomial equal to 0 and solving for q.

4. What is the significance of A and Ak in an eigenvalue problem?

A represents the original matrix in an eigenvalue problem, while Ak represents its kth power. The eigenvalues of A and Ak are related, and the eigenvalues of Ak can be easily calculated once the eigenvalues of A are known.

5. What is the importance of solving an eigenvalue problem in science?

Solving eigenvalue problems is crucial in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and chemistry. It allows researchers to understand the behavior and properties of complex systems, such as quantum mechanics and fluid dynamics, by determining the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of the system's matrix representation.