Solve Diff. Eq. using power series

In summary, at the start of the problem, the OP has to use the method of Frobenius to find the solution at a singular point, but after that it is basically a sum of different powers of x.
JamesonS

Homework Statement

\begin{equation}
(1-x)y^{"}+y = 0
\end{equation}

I am here but do not understand how to combine the two summations:
Mod note: Fixed LaTeX in following equation.
$$(1-x)\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}x^n+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^n = 0$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
JamesonS said:

Homework Statement

\begin{equation}
(1-x)y^{"}+y = 0
\end{equation}

I am here but do not understand how to combine the two summations:

$$(1-x)\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2}x^n+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^n = 0$$

Here is your equation using PF-compatible TeX:
$$
(1-x)\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+2)(n+1)a_{n+2} x^n+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nx^n = 0
$$
Just replace the "\ begin {equation} ... \ end {equation} " by "$ $ ... $ $ " (no spaces between the initial and final $ signs). Also: write "\infty", not "\infinity".

As for your question: write out the first 3 or 4 terms, to see what you get. That will give you insight into what you should do next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response and Latex help. Writing out the first few terms of each sum:
$$
(1-x)[2a_2+6a_3x+12a_4x^2+...]+[a_0+a_1x+a_2x^2+...]
$$
I am not sure what to do with the (1-x) term outside the first sum...

Last edited:
JamesonS said:
Thanks for the response and Latex help. Writing out the first few terms of each sum:
$$
(1-x)[2a_2+6a_3x+12a_4x^2+...]+[a_0+a_1x+a_2x^2+...]
$$

What is preventing you from "distributing out" the product? That is, ##(1-x) P(x) = P(x) - x P(x).##

Last edited:
Been a while since I did DE, but doesn't the OP have to be aware of the singular point in this problem? Hence he has to use the method of Frobenius?

MidgetDwarf said:
Been a while since I did DE, but doesn't the OP have to be aware of the singular point in this problem? Hence he has to use the method of Frobenius?
But the singular point isn't at ##x=0##.

Thanks for the correction. It's been a while. I remembered that there is no singular point if we take the Taylor expansion about x=0? Correct?

JamesonS said:

Practically after your first equation, or at any later stage, just multiply it out. You have shown that you know how to write a sum of different powers of x in terms of xn by changing the subscript appropriately.

MidgetDwarf said:
Thanks for the correction. It's been a while. I remembered that there is no singular point if we take the Taylor expansion about x=0? Correct?
That's backwards. If you expand about a regular point, then the solution can be written as a Taylor series. If there's a singular point, then you can use the method of Frobenius and end up with a Laurent series.

vela said:
That's backwards. If you expand about a regular point, then the solution can be written as a Taylor series. If there's a singular point, then you can use the method of Frobenius and end up with a Laurent series.

Thanks Vela!

It has been a while. I may pop open a differentials to bring the memory back.

Related to Solve Diff. Eq. using power series

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical series that is used to represent a function as a sum of terms, where each term is a polynomial multiplied by a variable raised to a certain power. It is often used in calculus to approximate functions and solve differential equations.

2. How are power series used to solve differential equations?

Power series can be used to solve differential equations by substituting the series into the equation and solving for the coefficients of the series. This allows for an infinite number of terms to be used, resulting in a more accurate solution.

3. What are the benefits of using power series to solve differential equations?

Power series can provide a more accurate solution compared to other methods, such as numerical approximation. They can also be used to solve a wider range of differential equations, including non-linear equations.

4. Are there any limitations to using power series to solve differential equations?

Power series can only be used to solve certain types of differential equations, such as those with constant coefficients. They also require a significant amount of computation, especially when a large number of terms are used.

5. Can power series be used to solve real-life problems?

Yes, power series can be used to solve real-life problems, such as modeling the spread of diseases or predicting stock market trends. They are also commonly used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations that describe physical phenomena.