Solve Diff. Eq. by Separation of Variables

In summary, the "Separation of Variables" method is a technique used to solve differential equations by separating the independent and dependent variables into separate equations. This method is only applicable when the differential equation can be expressed in the form of dy/dx = g(x)f(y). The steps involved in solving a differential equation using this method include identifying the variables, separating them, integrating both sides, and solving for the constant of integration. However, this method has limitations and may not be applicable to all types of differential equations.
KillerZ

Homework Statement

Solve the given differential equation by separation of variables.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{xy + 2y - x - 2}{xy - 3y + x - 3}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{xy + 2y - x - 2}{xy - 3y + x - 3}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{(x + 2)(y - 1)}{(x - 3)(y + 1)}[/tex]

[tex](x - 3)(y + 1)\frac{dy}{dx} = (x + 2)(y - 1)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{(x - 3)(y + 1)}{(y - 1}\frac{dy}{dx} = (x + 2)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{(y + 1)}{(y - 1)}\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{(x + 2)}{(x - 3)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{(y + 1)}{(y - 1)}dy = \frac{(x + 2)}{(x - 3)}dx[/tex]

This is where I am having problems I am not sure what way to Integrate this:

[tex]\int\frac{(y + 1)}{(y - 1)}dy = \int\frac{(x + 2)}{(x - 3)}dx[/tex]

I though maybe by partial fractions but the degree of the numerator is not less than the degree of the denominator.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, not partial fractions. Just divide (using long division) the denominator into the numerator on each side. On the left side you'll get 1 + 2/(y - 1).

By the way, you could have skipped several steps in your work.
[tex] \frac{dy}{dx}~=~ \frac{(x + 2)(y - 1)}{(x - 3)(y + 1)}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{y + 1}{y - 1}~dy~=~ \frac{(x + 2)}{(x - 3)}~dx[/tex]
You can get to the second equation above by multiplying both sides by (y + 1)/(y - 1)dx

Ok I got that but now I am stuck again this time with simplifying.

Long division =

[tex]\int1 + \frac{2}{y - 1}dy = \int1 + \frac{5}{x - 3}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int1dy + \int\frac{2}{y - 1}dy = \int1dx + \int\frac{5}{x - 3}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int1dy + 2\int\frac{1}{y - 1}dy = \int1dx + 5\int\frac{1}{x - 3}dx[/tex]

I am stuck here:

[tex]y + 2ln|y-1| = x + 5ln|x-3| + c[/tex]

Hi KillerZ,

Polynomial long division is certainly the way I should be done, and if you ever encounter quotients like that were its a quadratic divided by a quadratic then again think Polynomial long division. However there is a way do deal with this sort of problem when it is a linear expression divided by a linear expresion, consider this example:

[tex]
\int \frac{x+5}{x-2} dx
[/tex]

now what if we wrote 5 as 7-2

[tex]
\int \frac{x+5}{x-2} dx = \int \frac{x+7-2}{x-2} dx = \int \frac{(x-2) + 7}{x-2} dx = \int 1 + \frac{7}{x-2} dx
[/tex]

and then you have a form you can integrate, this also work if there is a coefficient other than 1 for either of the x terms, but then its probably better to do the long division so as not to make a mistake, this just often is quicker to do than long division for simple cases, the irony is that this was probably discovered (if you can call it a discovery) when someone did a PLD of a quotient of this form. This I think is a lovely little "trick" that can actually be used in other places also, not just quotients :D

KillerZ said:
Ok I got that but now I am stuck again this time with simplifying.

Long division =

[tex]\int1 + \frac{2}{y - 1}dy = \int1 + \frac{5}{x - 3}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int1dy + \int\frac{2}{y - 1}dy = \int1dx + \int\frac{5}{x - 3}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int1dy + 2\int\frac{1}{y - 1}dy = \int1dx + 5\int\frac{1}{x - 3}dx[/tex]

I am stuck here:

[tex]y + 2ln|y-1| = x + 5ln|x-3| + c[/tex]
There's not a whole lot you can do in simplification other than this:
[tex]y + ln|y-1|^2 = x + ln|x-3|^5 + c[/tex]

You're not going to be able to solve this equation for y as an explicit function of x. If you want to check your work (and you should), just differentiate implicitly and you should get back to your original differential equation.

Ok thanks

I thought I would post this here as its just another integral:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{y^{2}}dy = \int\frac{1}{e^{x}+e^{-x}}dx[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{1}{y} = \int\frac{e^{x}}{e^{2x}+1}dx[/tex]

[tex]u = e^{x}[/tex]

[tex]du = e^{x}dx[/tex]

I am not sure what to do here:

[tex]-\frac{1}{y} = \int\frac{du}{u^{2}+1}[/tex]

KillerZ said:
I am not sure what to do here:

[tex]-\frac{1}{y} = \int\frac{du}{u^{2}+1}[/tex]

That integral is tan-1u + C. Make sure you learn some integrals with inverse trig functions.

Related to Solve Diff. Eq. by Separation of Variables

What is the concept of "Separation of Variables" in solving differential equations?

The concept of "Separation of Variables" in solving differential equations is a method used to solve a differential equation by separating the independent and dependent variables into separate equations. This allows for the integration of each variable separately and then combining the solutions to obtain the overall solution to the differential equation.

How do you know when to use the "Separation of Variables" method?

The "Separation of Variables" method is used when the differential equation can be expressed in the form of dy/dx = g(x)f(y), where g(x) is a function of x only and f(y) is a function of y only.

What are the steps involved in solving a differential equation using the "Separation of Variables" method?

The steps involved in solving a differential equation using the "Separation of Variables" method are as follows:

1. Identify the independent and dependent variables in the differential equation.
  2. Separate the variables by moving all terms involving the dependent variable to one side and all terms involving the independent variable to the other side.
  3. Integrate both sides of the equation with respect to their respective variables.
  4. Combine the solutions and include the constant of integration.
  5. Solve for the constant of integration using any given initial conditions.

Can the "Separation of Variables" method be used to solve any type of differential equation?

No, the "Separation of Variables" method can only be used to solve specific types of differential equations, such as first-order, separable differential equations. It cannot be used to solve all types of differential equations.

Are there any limitations to using the "Separation of Variables" method?

Yes, there are limitations to using the "Separation of Variables" method. It can only be used to solve certain types of differential equations and it may not always yield an explicit solution. Additionally, it may not be applicable to more complex or nonlinear differential equations.