Solve Conics Hyperbola Homework Statement

In summary, the conversation is about finding the distance between the focus of a hyperbola and a point on its asymptote. The question originally suggested a complicated method involving finding the equation of a line and solving simultaneous equations, but the person asking the question later remembered a simpler formula for finding the distance from a point to a line.
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6340/conicshyperbola1.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]d^2=(x_2-x_1)^2+(y_2-y_1)^2[/tex]

[tex]y-y_1=m(x-x_1)[/tex]

[tex]m_1m_2=-1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to answer (i) but for (ii) I would go about it like this:

Find the equation of the line SR by using that it is perpendicular to the line l and passing through the focus S(ae,0). Then solve both equations simultaneously to find the point of intersection at R(x,y). Then find the distance between S and R given that I know both coordinates.
But looking at the marking criteria, it is only worth 1 mark and thus must have a much simpler way of being solved. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The only other thing I can see is to let point [itex]Q[/itex] be the x-intercept of the line [itex]l[/itex] and let [itex]R=(x,y)[/itex]. Then you can apply the Pythagorean Theorem to triangle [itex]QRS[/itex] and solve for [itex](x,y)[/itex]. The nice thing about this is that both points [itex]Q[/itex] and [itex]S[/itex] have only one nonzero coordinate.

Well then [tex]Q(acos\theta,0)[/tex] but the problem with that technique is that I'll still need to use the distance formula after finding point R, which is basically not any faster than what my original thinking was.

I asked my teacher on this one, there is a basic formula that I completely forgot existed.

[tex]d=\frac{|ax_1+by_1+c|}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}[/tex]

gives the perpendicular distance from a point to a line.

Related to Solve Conics Hyperbola Homework Statement

1. What is a hyperbola?

A hyperbola is a type of conic section, which is a mathematical curve formed by the intersection of a cone and a plane. It is characterized by its two branches that are symmetric about its center point, and it can be described by an equation in the form of (x - h)^2/a^2 - (y - k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center point and a and b are the distances from the center to the vertices.

2. How do you solve conics hyperbola homework statements?

To solve a conics hyperbola homework statement, you will need to use the general equation of a hyperbola and the given information about the shape, center, and vertices of the hyperbola. You can then use algebraic techniques such as completing the square and factoring to manipulate the equation and solve for the unknown variables.

3. What is the focus of a hyperbola?

The focus of a hyperbola is a point inside the curve that is equidistant from both branches. It is typically denoted by the letter F and can be found using the formula c = √(a^2 + b^2), where c is the distance from the center to the focus and a and b are the distances from the center to the vertices.

4. How do you determine the eccentricity of a hyperbola?

The eccentricity of a hyperbola is a measure of how stretched out the curve is. It is represented by the letter e and can be calculated using the formula e = c/a, where c is the distance from the center to the focus and a is the distance from the center to the vertices. A hyperbola with an eccentricity greater than 1 is called a "steeper" hyperbola, while one with an eccentricity less than 1 is called a "shallower" hyperbola.

5. What real-world applications use hyperbolas?

Hyperbolas have many real-world applications, such as in astronomy to describe the orbits of comets and planets, in engineering to design satellite dishes and antennas, and in physics to study the path of a projectile with air resistance. They are also used in navigation and mapping, as well as in economics and finance to model supply and demand curves.