Solve Complex Logarithm Problem on Domain D | Yahoo! Answers

In summary, we are given a domain D obtained by deleting the ray {x, x<=0} from the plane, and a branch of log z on D, G(z). It is shown that G maps D onto a horizontal strip of width 2pi, given by { x+iy: belong to R, c<y<c+2pi}, and that the mapping is one to one on D.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
I quote an unsolved question from Yahoo! Answers

let D be the domain obtained by deleting the ray {x, x<=0} from the plane and let G(z) be a branch of log z on D. Show that G maps D onto a horizontal strip of width of 2pi,
{ x+iy: belong to R, c<y<c+2pi} and the mapping is one to one on D.

Thanks

I have given a link to the topic there so the OP can see my complete response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Firstly consider $G:D\to\mathbb{C}$, $G(z)=\log z=\log |z|+i\arg z$ where $\arg$ is the principal argument of $z$. When $z$ varies on $D$, $|z|$ varies on $(0,+\infty)$ hence, $\log |z|$ varies on $(-\infty,+\infty)$. When $z$ varies on $D$, $\arg z$ varies on $(-\pi,\pi)$. This implies $$G(D)=\mathbb{R}+(-\pi,\pi)i=\{x+iy:x\in\mathbb{R},y\in(-\pi,\pi)\}$$ Another continuous argument has the form $\arg_c z\in(c,c+2\pi)$, and we get the result. On the other hand, $$G(z_1)=G(z_2)\Rightarrow \log |z_1|+i\arg_c z_1=\log |z_2|+i\arg_c z_2\Rightarrow\\ \log |z_1|=\log |z_2|\;\wedge\;\arg_c z_1=\arg_c z_2\Rightarrow |z_1|=|z_2|\;\wedge\;\arg_c z_1=\arg_c z_2\\\Rightarrow z_1=z_2\Rightarrow G\mbox{ is one to one on the domain }D$$

Related to Solve Complex Logarithm Problem on Domain D | Yahoo! Answers

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that calculates the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number. It is denoted as logb(x) where b is the base and x is the given number.

2. What is a complex logarithm?

A complex logarithm is a logarithm with a complex number as its input. It is denoted as logb(z) where z is a complex number in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

3. What is the domain of a logarithm?

The domain of a logarithm is the set of all positive real numbers. This means that the input of a logarithm must be greater than 0.

4. How do you solve a complex logarithm problem?

To solve a complex logarithm problem, you can use the properties of logarithms to simplify the expression and then solve for the unknown variable. It is important to remember to check for extraneous solutions, which may occur when taking the logarithm of a negative number.

5. How is the complex logarithm problem solved on a specific domain?

The process for solving a complex logarithm problem on a specific domain is the same as solving any other complex logarithm problem. The only difference is that the solution must also satisfy the domain, which means the input must be a positive number. If the solution does not satisfy the domain, then it is considered an extraneous solution and must be discarded.