Solve complex exponential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulty in solving an exponential equation with leading coefficients that differ. The use of root-finding algorithms, specifically Newton's method, is suggested as a way to find an approximate solution since an analytical solution is not always possible. The person is able to solve the problem using this method after reading up on it.
Smed
I'm having some trouble solving for t in the following exponential equation.

$$ B = A_1 e^{-\lambda_1 t} + A_2 e^{-\lambda_2 t} $$

I can't divide out the leading coefficients A1 and A2 because they differ. I'm not really sure how to immediately take the natural logarithm of both sides since the rhs would just become,

$$ \ln({A_1 e^{-\lambda_1 t} + A_2 e^{-\lambda_2 t}}) $$

Any help is appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey Smed and welcome to the forums.

How much mathematics have you taken?

Usually for general problems, we don't often have an analytic solution, or the analytic solution is either unknown or too complicated.

In the above case we use what is known as root-finding algorithms like Newtons method to solve the root of an equation which would give you a value.

If you can't find an analytic version easily or at all, try and use a numerical routine to calculate a good enough approximation of t which should suit your purposes. The value of t won't give exactly 0, but it will be close enough depending on what you calculate and how accurate you want it to be.

Chiro,

I've taken enough mathematics that I probably should be familiar with root-finding algorithms, but I wasn't. I think part of my problem is that I'm not sure what makes the equation not have an analytical solution. It seemed that way after trying to solve it for a while, but I figured I was just missing some simple technique.

After reading up on the Newton method, I was able to solve the problem iteratively.

Thanks for your help.

Related to Solve complex exponential equation

What is a complex exponential equation?

A complex exponential equation is an equation that contains variables in the exponent and can have complex solutions. It typically follows the form of ax = b, where a and b are complex numbers and x is the variable.

How do you solve a complex exponential equation?

To solve a complex exponential equation, you can use the natural logarithm function. By taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation, you can bring the exponent down and create a linear equation that can be solved for the variable. Then, you can substitute the solution back into the original equation to check its validity.

What are the steps for solving a complex exponential equation?

The steps for solving a complex exponential equation are as follows:

1. Take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation
  2. Use logarithm properties to bring the exponent down and create a linear equation
  3. Solve the linear equation for the variable
  4. Substitute the solution back into the original equation to check for validity

What are some common mistakes when solving complex exponential equations?

Some common mistakes when solving complex exponential equations include:

• Forgetting to take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation
  • Incorrectly using logarithm properties
  • Forgetting to check for extraneous solutions
  • Incorrectly substituting the solution back into the original equation

Can a complex exponential equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a complex exponential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the natural logarithm is a multi-valued function and can have an infinite number of solutions. However, only one of these solutions will be considered the principal solution and will be valid for the original equation.