Solve complex 2nd order differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a 2nd order differential equation that cannot be separated into y'', y', and y. Different attempts were made to solve the equation, but it was suggested to write it in the form of ln(t^2/t') = ln(C) and manipulate it into a first-order equation for t. The final solution is t = A/(Rx+j).
tetris11

Homework Statement

[tex]t''[x] = \frac{2}{t} t'[x]^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is not your basic 2ODE, since I can't separate the components into y'', y' and y.

Help?

I've so far tried:
[tex]\frac{d^{2}t}{dx^{2}}=\frac{2}{t}(\frac{dt}{dx})^{2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dt}{dx}=\frac{2}{t}(\frac{dt}{dx})^{2}dx[/tex]

[tex]dt=\frac{2}{t}(\frac{dt^{2}}{dx})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}dx=\frac{1}{t}dt[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2}x+k=ln[t]+c[/tex]

[tex]t = e^{k-c}e^{\frac{1}{2}x[/tex]

somehow this doest seem right...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about writing the equation as

[tex]\frac{t''}{t'} = 2 \frac{t'}{t}?[/tex]

So I then get:

ln(t') +c = 2ln(t) +k ?

2ln(t) - ln(t') -R = [tex]ln(\frac{t^{2}}{t'}) = ln(R)[/tex] (my maths is pretty rusty)

Last edited:
tetris11 said:
So I then get:

ln(t') +c = 2ln(t) +k ?

2ln(t) - ln(t') -R = [tex]ln(\frac{t^{2}}{t'}) = R[/tex] (my maths is pretty rusty)

Yep, it might be easier to write this in the form

[tex]ln(\frac{t^{2}}{t'}) = \ln C,[/tex]

since the next step is to manipulate this into an easy first-order equation for t.

[tex] ln(\frac{t^{2}}{t'}) = ln(R)[/tex]

[tex] t^{2} = R\frac{dt}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{1}{t^{2}} dt =\int -R dx [/tex]

[tex]\frac{-1}{t} +k = -Rx +c [/tex]

[tex] t = \frac{A}{Rx+j} [/tex]

thanks dude!

Related to Solve complex 2nd order differential equation

What is a complex 2nd order differential equation?

A complex 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical expression that involves a function, its derivatives, and other variables. It is considered "complex" because it contains second-order derivatives, meaning the function is differentiated twice.

What is the purpose of solving complex 2nd order differential equations?

Solving complex 2nd order differential equations is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to model and understand real-world phenomena and make predictions based on mathematical relationships.

What are the steps for solving a complex 2nd order differential equation?

The general steps for solving a complex 2nd order differential equation are: 1) Identify the independent and dependent variables, 2) Determine the order of the equation, 3) Rewrite the equation in standard form, 4) Find the general solution by integrating or using other methods, and 5) Apply initial conditions to find the particular solution.

What are some common techniques for solving complex 2nd order differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving complex 2nd order differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using power series solutions. Other methods such as Laplace transforms, numerical methods, and computer simulations can also be used in certain cases.

Are there any tips for solving complex 2nd order differential equations?

Yes, here are a few tips: 1) Always check for symmetry in the equation, 2) Look for known solutions that can be used as a starting point, 3) Simplify the equation as much as possible before attempting to solve it, and 4) Practice with different types of equations to become familiar with different solution methods.