Solve AP Calc Problem: Draining Water from Conical/Cylindrical Tanks

In summary: Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that for your calculationdV/dt = 3(1/27)(pi)(h^2) · dh/dtthat dh/dt = -12 ft/min because that tank is being drained, so the level is decreasing and we should havedv/dt = -12(pi) .So dV/dt for the cylindrical tank is +12(pi) (ft^3)/min. You'll need a formula for the volume of a cylinder, so you can turn it into a rate equation. We don't know how much water is already in the tank, but that doesn't matter, since you'll be working with rates of change...
gonzalo12345

Homework Statement

Water is drained from a conical tank with height 12ft and diameter 8ft into a cylindrical tank that has a base with area 400Π square feet. the deep, h, in feet, of the water in the conical tank is changing at the rate of 12 ft/min

a. write an expression for the volume of water int eh conical tank as a function of h
b. at what rate is the volume of water in the conical tank changing when h=3?
c. At the same time, h=3, at what rate is the radius changing?
d. let y be the depth, in feet, of the water in the cylindrical tank. at what rate is y changing when h=3?

Homework Equations

V= 1/3Πr^2h

The Attempt at a Solution

for a I think is just rearranging the volume equation right?, for part B I had dV/dt = 324Π, can somebody check is that is ok, and for c and d I'm lost.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
gonzalo12345 said:
for a I think is just rearranging the volume equation right?

What do you mean by "rearranging"? It will help a reader if you show your calculations.

dynamicsolo said:
What do you mean by "rearranging"? It will help a reader if you show your calculations.

I mean that V=1/3Πr^2h

then 3V=Πr^2h
3V/Πr^2 = h

gonzalo12345 said:
I mean that V=1/3?r^2h

then 3V=?r^2h
3V/?r^2 = h

That isn't what it meant by "expressing the volume as a function of h". What they're looking for is the volume function for this cone written with h as the only variable. So you have to use some information to eliminate the variable r .

dynamicsolo said:
That isn't what it meant by "expressing the volume as a function of h". What they're looking for is the volume function for this cone written with h as the only variable. So you have to use some information to eliminate the variable r .

so would it be:
V= 3Πh^3

gonzalo12345 said:
so would it be:
V= 3?h^3

I don't quite agree (though I think I know what you did) -- what is r in terms of h? (If you look at the cross-section of the conical tank with water in it, you'll see that you can use similar triangles to show that the relationship remains the same for any water level.)

dynamicsolo said:
I don't quite agree (though I think I know what you did) -- what is r in terms of h? (If you look at the cross-section of the conical tank with water in it, you'll see that you can use similar triangles to show that the relationship remains the same for any water level.)

ok, so:
V=1/27Πh^3

gonzalo12345 said:
ok, so:
V=1/27?h^3

Much better! So how would you find (dV/dt) at the moment when h = 3 ft?

dV/dt = 3(1/27)Πh^2. dh/dt
dv/dt = 12Π

so for c do I use the same triangle relation to find dr/dt?

gonzalo12345 said:
dV/dt = 3(1/27)?h^2. dh/dt
dv/dt = 12?

so for c do I use the same triangle relation to find dr/dt?

Yes. (Don't forget the (ft^3)/min units on dV/dt .)

dynamicsolo said:
Yes. (Don't forget the (ft^3)/min units on dV/dt .)

and for d, how is Dv/dt from the cone the same as Dy/dt?

gonzalo12345 said:
and for d, how is Dv/dt from the cone the same as Dy/dt?

The dV/dt for the cylinder will be the negative of the dV/dt for the cone, since the cylinder is being filled up.

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that for your calculation

dV/dt = 3(1/27)(pi)(h^2) · dh/dt

that dh/dt = -12 ft/min because that tank is being drained, so the level is decreasing and we should have

dv/dt = -12(pi) .

So dV/dt for the cylindrical tank is +12(pi) (ft^3)/min. You'll need a formula for the volume of a cylinder, so you can turn it into a rate equation. We don't know how much water is already in the tank, but that doesn't matter, since you'll be working with rates of change...

Related to Solve AP Calc Problem: Draining Water from Conical/Cylindrical Tanks

1. How do I determine the volume of water in a conical or cylindrical tank?

The volume of water in a conical or cylindrical tank can be calculated using the formula V = πr²h, where V is the volume, π is the mathematical constant pi, r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the tank. You can also use this formula to calculate the volume of a partially filled tank by simply subtracting the height of the empty space from the total height of the tank.

2. How do I calculate the rate of water drainage from a conical or cylindrical tank?

The rate of water drainage from a conical or cylindrical tank can be calculated using the formula dV/dt = A * v, where dV/dt is the rate of change of volume with respect to time, A is the surface area of the opening, and v is the velocity of the water draining from the tank. You can determine the surface area of the opening by using the formula A = πr², where r is the radius of the opening.

3. What factors affect the rate of water drainage from a conical or cylindrical tank?

The rate of water drainage from a conical or cylindrical tank can be affected by several factors, including the surface area of the opening, the velocity of the water, the shape and size of the tank, and the height of the water. The rate of drainage can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. How can I optimize the drainage process in a conical or cylindrical tank?

To optimize the drainage process in a conical or cylindrical tank, you can adjust the size and shape of the opening, increase the velocity of the water, and minimize any obstructions or irregularities in the tank. You can also consider external factors such as temperature and pressure to further optimize the drainage process.

5. Can I use calculus to solve AP Calc problems related to draining water from conical or cylindrical tanks?

Yes, calculus can be used to solve AP Calc problems related to draining water from conical or cylindrical tanks. The formulas used to calculate volume and rate of drainage involve derivatives and integrals, which are key concepts in calculus. By understanding these concepts and applying them correctly, you can successfully solve AP Calc problems related to draining water from conical or cylindrical tanks.