Solve Absolute Parabola: Sketch |x^2 - 2x - 3| Graph

In summary, the graph of y = x^2 - 2x - 3 crosses the x-axis at (-1, 0) and (3, 0). There are three intervals, (-inf, -1), (-1, 3), and (3, inf), and on one of these intervals the graph dips below the x-axis.
TsAmE

Homework Statement

Sketch the graph of |x^2 - 2x - 3|

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

|x^2 - 2x - 3| =

{ x^2 - 2x + 3 x^2 - 2x - 3 >= 0 x >= 3 OR x >= -1
{-x^2 + 2x + 3 x^2 - 2x - 3 < 0 x < 3 OR x < -1

if x < -1 then y = -x^2 + 2x + 3

if -1 <= x < 3 then y = (x^2 - 2x - 3) + (-x^2 + 2x + 3)
= 0

if x >= 3 then y = x^2 - 2x - 3

I wrote this in a test and I got the part in bold wrong. I don't know what I did wrong as I have used this method of showing the positive and negative values of an absolute graph before and it has worked.

Physics news on Phys.org
TsAmE said:

Homework Statement

Sketch the graph of |x^2 - 2x - 3|

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

|x^2 - 2x - 3| =

The inequalities at the end of each line are wrong.
x >= 3 OR x >= -1 is the same as saying x >= -1. By "the same as" I mean "equivalent to."
x < 3 OR x < -1 is the same as saying x < 3.
TsAmE said:
No, this isn't true.
TsAmE said:
= 0
This isn't true, either.
TsAmE said:

I wrote this in a test and I got the part in bold wrong. I don't know what I did wrong as I have used this method of showing the positive and negative values of an absolute graph before and it has worked.
Look at the graph of y = x^2 - 2x - 3. This graph crosses the x-axis at (-1, 0) and (3, 0). These points determine three intervals: (-inf, -1), (-1, 3), and (3, inf). On one of these intervals the graph if y = x^2 - 2x - 3 dips below the x-axis.

For y = |x^2 - 2x - 3|, the part that was below the x-axis is reflected across. The other two parts don't change.

TsAmE said:

= 0

The funny thing is that I plotted those equations in bold (all above positive y-axis cause of absolute) and got the graph right, but I don't understand why my reasoning would be wrong as I stated the relevant intervals: x < -1, -1 <= x < 3 and x >=3.

|x^2 - 2x - 3| =

I got the first bold part by saying (x - 3)(x + 1) >= 0
and the second bold part by saying (x - 3)(x + 1) < 0
and just solving for both x values. What would be the correct inequality(s) to right?

TsAmE said:
The funny thing is that I plotted those equations in bold (all above positive y-axis cause of absolute) and got the graph right, but I don't understand why my reasoning would be wrong as I stated the relevant intervals: x < -1, -1 <= x < 3 and x >=3.
Those are the right intervals.
TsAmE said:
|x^2 - 2x - 3| =

I didn't notice earlier, but the first inequality in each line has extra terms in it. Probably a copy and paste error.

TsAmE said:
I got the first bold part by saying (x - 3)(x + 1) >= 0
The solution to this inequality is x < = -1 OR x >= 3. This represents two separate intervals.
You have x >= 3 OR x >= -1, which as I said before is the same as saying x >= -1, which is only one interval.
TsAmE said:
and the second bold part by saying (x - 3)(x + 1) < 0
and just solving for both x values. What would be the correct inequality(s) to right?
The solution to this inequality is -1 < x < 3. You had x < 3 OR x < -1, which as I said before, is the same as x < 3.

Your problem seems to be solving quadratic inequalities. You should go back and review the section in your book that discusses this type of inequality.

Oh ok I understand where I went wrong, I didnt apply the use a number line with critical values to get the interval. Thanks for the help :)

Related to Solve Absolute Parabola: Sketch |x^2 - 2x - 3| Graph

What is an absolute parabola?

An absolute parabola is a type of graph that represents a quadratic equation in the form of |x^2 + bx + c|, where b and c are constant values. The absolute value symbols indicate that the graph will always be positive, regardless of the input values of x.

How do I solve an absolute parabola?

To solve an absolute parabola, you must first rewrite the equation in standard form by factoring out the coefficient of x^2. Then, you can use the vertex form of a quadratic equation to find the coordinates of the vertex. From there, you can plot the vertex and use the symmetry of the parabola to sketch the rest of the graph.

What is the significance of the vertex in an absolute parabola?

The vertex is the point on the graph where the parabola changes direction. It is also the minimum or maximum point of the graph, depending on the direction of the parabola. In absolute parabolas, the vertex is always on the y-axis and has coordinates (0, c), where c is the constant value in the equation.

How does the value of b affect the shape of an absolute parabola?

The value of b determines the width of the parabola. A larger value of b will result in a narrower parabola, while a smaller value of b will result in a wider parabola. If b is positive, the parabola will open upwards, and if b is negative, the parabola will open downwards.

Can I use the same method to solve any absolute parabola?

Yes, the same method can be used to solve any absolute parabola, regardless of the values of b and c. However, the shape and position of the parabola may differ depending on the values of these constants.