Solve a system of nonhomogeneous DEs

In summary: Now try to solve ##\vec{z}' = {\mathbf M} \vec{z} ##In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a second-order linear system of equations with known matrices A and B and a constant vector F. The suggested method is to define a new variable, b, and rewrite the system as a first-order system. However, there is uncertainty on how to proceed from there, as the equation still contains a term with A multiplied by the original variable a. Possible approaches include using Theorem 23 from a textbook or re-writing the system in a matrix form.
skrat

Homework Statement

Solve
$$\ddot {\vec a}=A\vec a+B\dot{ \vec a}+\vec F$$

if A and B are known matrices and F is a constant vector.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My plan was to define ##\vec b=\dot{\vec a}## to move from second order to first order system ##\dot{\vec b}=A\vec a+B\vec b+\vec F##

But now... well, I have got absolutely no idea how to continue! I wanted to use theorem 23 on page 580 in chapter 11.7 in this work: http://www.math.utah.edu/~gustafso/2250systems-de.pdf BUT I have got a ##A\vec a ## term... which... wel... I don't know what to do with it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
skrat said:

Homework Statement

Solve
$$\ddot {\vec a}=A\vec a+B\dot{ \vec a}+\vec F$$

if A and B are known matrices and F is a constant vector.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My plan was to define ##\vec b=\dot{\vec a}## to move from second order to first order system ##\dot{\vec b}=A\vec a+B\vec b+\vec F##

But now... well, I have got absolutely no idea how to continue! I wanted to use theorem 23 on page 580 in chapter 11.7 in this work: http://www.math.utah.edu/~gustafso/2250systems-de.pdf BUT I have got a ##A\vec a ## term... which... wel... I don't know what to do with it!

If ##A## is invertible there is no reason to appeal to Theorem 23; that is just "overkill". Think first how you would deal with the scalar DE ##x'' = A x + B x' + c## when ##A, B, c## are constants and ##A \neq 0##.

Likes skrat
In case of a scalar DE i would rewrite your equation to $${x}''-B{x}'-Ax=c$$
Than the solution of a complementary part are roots of this characteristic equation $$D^2-BD-A=0$$ meaning $$D_{1,2}=\frac B 2 \pm \frac 1 2 \sqrt{B^2+4A}$$ therefore $$x_{hom}(t)=C_1e^{(\frac B 2 + \frac 1 2 \sqrt{B^2+4A})t}+C_2e^{(\frac B 2 - \frac 1 2 \sqrt{B^2+4A})t}.$$
To get the particular solution we could guess it. Or not? Let's say $$x_{part}=C_0$$
Right?

skrat said:
In case of a scalar DE i would rewrite your equation to $${x}''-B{x}'-Ax=c$$
Than the solution of a complementary part are roots of this characteristic equation $$D^2-BD-A=0$$ meaning $$D_{1,2}=\frac B 2 \pm \frac 1 2 \sqrt{B^2+4A}$$ therefore $$x_{hom}(t)=C_1e^{(\frac B 2 + \frac 1 2 \sqrt{B^2+4A})t}+C_2e^{(\frac B 2 - \frac 1 2 \sqrt{B^2+4A})t}.$$
To get the particular solution we could guess it. Or not? Let's say $$x_{part}=C_0$$
Right?

If ##A,B,C## are constants and ##A \neq 0## the DE ##x'' = Ax + Bx' + C## is the same as the homogeneous DE
[tex] (x+C/A)'' = A(x+C/A) + B(x+C/A)' . [/tex]

In your case it is not completely clear what to do in the case that ##A## is not invertible and the linear system ##Ar = F## has no solution.

BTW: my answer assumes that you know how to deal with the homogeneous system, and are just confused what to do about the non-homogeneous system (but with a constant "forcing" term).

If I understand you correctly, than in my case of system of equations and assuming A is invertible $${(x-A^{-1}C)}''=A(x-A^{-1}C)+B{(x-A^{-1}C)}'$$ with ##x## being a vector ##\vec x=(x(t),y(t))## or did I not understand you correctly?

Your assumption is wrong, to be honest. I am sure I used to know how to do this with matrices, yet I can't seem to remember, nor can I find any good paper with a nice explanation and an example.

However, if I define ##\vec y=(\vec x-A^{-1}C)## than the equation above can be written $${\vec y}''-B{\vec y}'-A\vec y=0.$$

Now all I was able to figure out from several papers is that it makes sense to define ##\vec u ={\vec y}'## to reduce the order of the differential equation. Doing so brings me to $$ { \vec u}'-B\vec u-A\vec y=0.$$

Now you can safely assume that the ##-A\vec y## term is confusing me. Without it I would find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix B. With that term I have no idea!

skrat said:
If I understand you correctly, than in my case of system of equations and assuming A is invertible $${(x-A^{-1}C)}''=A(x-A^{-1}C)+B{(x-A^{-1}C)}'$$ with ##x## being a vector ##\vec x=(x(t),y(t))## or did I not understand you correctly?

You can check this for yourself: do you get back the same DE?

Your assumption is wrong, to be honest. I am sure I used to know how to do this with matrices, yet I can't seem to remember, nor can I find any good paper with a nice explanation and an example.

The pdf file you cited has lots of examples in it.

However, if I define ##\vec y=(\vec x-A^{-1}C)## than the equation above can be written $${\vec y}''-B{\vec y}'-A\vec y=0.$$

Now all I was able to figure out from several papers is that it makes sense to define ##\vec u ={\vec y}'## to reduce the order of the differential equation. Doing so brings me to $$ { \vec u}'-B\vec u-A\vec y=0.$$

Now you can safely assume that the ##-A\vec y## term is confusing me. Without it I would find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix B. With that term I have no idea!

The standard method is to re-write your system as
[tex] \vec{y}' = \vec{u}, \; \; \vec{u}' = A \vec{y} + B \vec{u}[/tex]
or
[tex] \frac{d}{dt}\pmatrix{y \\ u} = \pmatrix{0 & I \\ A & B} \pmatrix{y\\u} [/tex]
This is of the form ##\vec{z}' = {\mathbf M} \vec{z} ##.

Likes skrat

Related to Solve a system of nonhomogeneous DEs

1. What is a system of nonhomogeneous differential equations?

A system of nonhomogeneous differential equations is a set of equations that involve one or more variables and their derivatives. These equations are considered nonhomogeneous because they contain terms that are not equal to zero. In other words, the equations are not in a "homogeneous" form, where all terms on one side of the equation are zero.

2. How do you solve a system of nonhomogeneous differential equations?

To solve a nonhomogeneous system of differential equations, you must use a method called "variation of parameters." This involves finding a particular solution to the system, and then adding it to the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous system. This will give you the complete solution to the nonhomogeneous system.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and nonhomogeneous system of differential equations?

The main difference between the two is that a homogeneous system has all terms that are equal to zero, while a nonhomogeneous system has at least one term that is not equal to zero. This difference requires a different approach in solving the system, as mentioned in the previous question.

4. Can a nonhomogeneous system of differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, a nonhomogeneous system can have multiple solutions. This is because the solution to a nonhomogeneous system is not unique, as it depends on the particular solution that is added to the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous system. However, the general solution will always be in the same form for a given nonhomogeneous system.

5. How are systems of nonhomogeneous differential equations used in real-world applications?

Systems of nonhomogeneous differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model and solve various problems. They can be used to describe the motion of objects, the flow of fluids, and the behavior of electrical circuits, among other things. By solving these systems, we can make predictions and gain a better understanding of how these systems behave in real-world situations.