Solve a given initial-value problem, bernoullis equation

• Thread starter shemer77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bernoullis
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a Bernoulli differential equation using substitution and finding the integrating factor. The attempted solution includes a calculation error, but the correct solution is found by dividing by x^2 and multiplying by -3y^{-4}.
shemer77

Homework Statement

x2*(dy/dx)-2xy=3y4
y(1)=1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

the most I have it reduced to du/dx+2u/3x=-1/(u^8*x^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a Bernoulli DE. Did you use the substitution [itex]u = y^{1 - 4} = y^{-3}[/itex]? Find [itex]dy/dx[/itex] in terms of [itex]du/dx[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] and substitute it in the differential equation. Eventually, you'll have a new DE of u and x and you can solve it using whatever way it should be.

thats what i did, and when i reduced it down i got this
du/dx+2u/3x=-1/(u^8*x^2)
but I've rechecked and rechecked and i can't see if i did something wrong or what I am supposed to do next?

What I got is different:

[itex]dy/dx = -(1/3) y^4 (du/dx)[/itex] ; we substitute this into the differential equation, and we get: [itex]x^2 (-1/3) y^4 du/dx - 2xy = 3y^4[/itex]. Now divide by [itex]x^2[/itex] then multiply by [itex]-3y^{-4}[/itex] and we get: [itex]du/dx + (6u/x) = -9/x^2[/itex]. From here, find the integrating factor and solve the DE. Your mistake is [itex]u^8[/itex]; you multiplied by [itex]-3y^{-4}[/itex] so [itex]y^4[/itex] and [itex]y^{-4}[/itex] will cancel.

I might have some calculation mistakes, so I'd wait for someone else to confirm this.

Related to Solve a given initial-value problem, bernoullis equation

1. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental equation in fluid mechanics that relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation at any point in a fluid flow. It is based on the principle of conservation of energy and is commonly used to solve problems involving fluid flow.

2. What is an initial-value problem?

An initial-value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding an unknown function based on its derivative and some initial conditions. In the context of Bernoulli's equation, it involves finding the velocity or pressure at a given point in a fluid flow based on the initial conditions and the known parameters of the system.

3. How do you solve an initial-value problem using Bernoulli's equation?

To solve an initial-value problem using Bernoulli's equation, you must first identify the variables involved and set up the equation using the known parameters and initial conditions. Then, you can use algebraic manipulation and integration to solve for the unknown variable.

4. What are the applications of Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation has many practical applications in fields such as aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and thermodynamics. It is used to analyze fluid flow in pipes, pumps, jets, and other systems, and is also used in the design of aircraft and other vehicles.

5. What are the limitations of Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a simplified model that assumes certain conditions, such as steady flow and incompressible fluids. Therefore, it may not accurately predict the behavior of real fluids in complex systems. It also does not take into account factors such as viscosity and turbulence. In some cases, more advanced equations or experimental data may be necessary to accurately solve a fluid mechanics problem.