Solve a Complex Number Question: z = a/b and 1/(a+b) = 1/a + 1/b?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of a complex number z given that z = a/b and 1/(a+b) = 1/a + 1/b. The conversation goes through various attempts at solving the problem and eventually arrives at the solution of z = (-1/2) +/- (i√3)/2.
lockedup

Homework Statement

If [tex]z = \frac{a}{b}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{1}{a + b} = \frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b}[/tex], find z.

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure z is a complex number.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start. The teacher did nothing like this in class. I tried something that involved combining the fractions on the right hand side and then cross-multiplying with the fraction on the left hand side. I played around with that for a few minutes but it didn't give me anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am confused about what you are asking. z is defined. Are you trying to get z in different terms than above? Or perhaps in cartesian/standard or polar form?

lockedup said:
I tried something that involved combining the fractions on the right hand side and then cross-multiplying with the fraction on the left hand side. I played around with that for a few minutes but it didn't give me anything.

Keep playing. It works out.

Multiply both sides of your equation by (a+b) and try to reduce the right side to terms that are constants or a/b, or b/a. a/b=z. Doesn't that make b/a=1/z? Write it all in terms of z. Think 'quadratic equation'.

I think I got it. I substituted zb for a. I combined and cross multiplied again. I ended up with [tex]z = \frac{-1}{2} \pm \frac{i\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

Now I need to check it...

It checks! w00t \O/

Related to Solve a Complex Number Question: z = a/b and 1/(a+b) = 1/a + 1/b?

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (i.e. the square root of -1).

How do you solve a complex number question?

To solve a complex number question, you can use algebraic manipulation and the properties of complex numbers, such as the distributive property and the fact that the square of the imaginary unit is -1.

What does z = a/b mean?

This notation means that z is equal to the quotient of a divided by b. In other words, z is the result of dividing a by b.

What does 1/(a+b) = 1/a + 1/b mean?

This equation means that the reciprocal of the sum of a and b is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of a and b. In other words, if you take the inverse of the sum of a and b, it will be equal to the sum of the inverses of a and b.

How can this equation be simplified?

This equation can be simplified by taking the least common multiple of the denominators on both sides of the equation. In this case, the least common multiple is ab, so multiplying both sides by ab would simplify the equation to b + a = ab.