Solutions to equations involving linear transformations

In summary, for matrix theory, if there exists a particular solution ##p##, then every solution looks like ##p+k##, where ##k \in \ker A##. This also holds true for general linear transformations, where solutions to ##T(\vec x) = \vec b## can be expressed as a translation of the kernel.
Mr Davis 97
I have learned that for matrix theory, for ##A \vec{x} = \vec{b}##, if there exists a particular solution ##p##, then every solution looks like ##p+k##, where ##k \in \ker A##.

Can someone help me find material on this online, but only in the context of general linear transformations? For example, I want something explaining that in general solutions to ##T (\vec{x}) = \vec{b}## looks like a translation of the kernel.

Physics news on Phys.org
do you know the definition of a linear transformation? If so try using it to prove that if T is linear and T(v) = b = T(w), then v-w is in the kernel of T. Then ask yourself how this relates to your question.

Likes Mr Davis 97
Another helpful thought is to visualize it geometrically. Solve ##\begin{bmatrix}2&-1\\ 0 & 0\end{bmatrix} \vec{x}=\begin{bmatrix}-3 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}## which can be drawn on a piece of paper, and think about what it means for the question: what is ##\vec{b}##, what ##\vec{p}## and what the kernel? Even three dimensional examples can easily be drawn, although it'll be a bit more work to do; on the other hand, there will be more dimensions for the kernel available.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I have learned that for matrix theory, for ##A \vec{x} = \vec{b}##, if there exists a particular solution ##p##, then every solution looks like ##p+k##, where ##k \in \ker A##.

Can someone help me find material on this online, but only in the context of general linear transformations? For example, I want something explaining that in general solutions to ##T (\vec{x}) = \vec{b}## looks like a translation of the kernel.
Let ##\vec x = \vec p + \vec k##, where ##\vec p## is a solution to ##T(\vec p) = \vec b##, and ##\vec k## is any vector in the kernel of T. Then ##T(\vec x) = T(\vec p + \vec k) = T(\vec p) + T(\vec k) = \vec b + \vec 0 = \vec b##, by the linearity of linear transformations. The matrix form of the equation follows immediately.

Related to Solutions to equations involving linear transformations

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical operation that maps a vector space to another vector space in a way that preserves the structure of the original space. In simpler terms, it is a function that takes in a set of numbers (vectors) and produces a new set of numbers (also vectors) by applying a set of rules or equations.

2. How are linear transformations represented mathematically?

Linear transformations are typically represented using matrices. Each element in the original vector is multiplied by a corresponding element in the matrix and then added together to create the new vector. This process can also be represented using systems of linear equations.

3. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a linear equation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical operation that maps one vector space to another, while a linear equation is an algebraic expression that equates two linear expressions. In other words, a linear transformation is a function, while a linear equation is an equation.

4. How do you solve equations involving linear transformations?

To solve equations involving linear transformations, you can use methods such as matrix operations, Gaussian elimination, or substitution. The goal is to manipulate the equations to isolate the variable being solved for and solve for its value.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations have many real-world applications, including image and signal processing, data compression, computer graphics, and optimization problems in engineering and economics. They are also used in physics and chemistry to model physical phenomena and in statistics for data analysis and regression.