Solution to the scalar wave equation in cylindrical coordinates

I just noticed that we don't actually have to have k^2=k_\rho^2+k_z^2, but we do need to have k_\rho^2+k_z^2=n^2; if we don't, then the only solutions are the trivial ones. (Recall that n\in\mathbb{Z}.)Thanks again!In summary, we discussed the proof of a certain function being a solution to the scalar wave equation in cylindrical coordinates. We also explored the use of Bessel functions in this context and the conditions necessary for a solution to exist.
IridescentRain
Hello.

I don't know how to prove that a certain function is a solution to the scalar wave equation in cylindrical coordinates.

The scalar wave equation is
[tex]\left(\nabla^2+k^2\right)\,\phi(\vec{r})=0,[/tex]which in cylindrical coordinates is
[tex]\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial\rho}\left(\rho\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial\rho}\right)+\frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial \varphi^2}+\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial z^2},[/tex]where the translation between cartesian and cylindrical coordinates is given by [itex]\rho=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex], [itex]\varphi=\arctan\left(y/x\right)[/itex], [itex]z=z[/itex].

According to Scattering of electromagnetic waves: theories and applications by Tsang L, Kong J A and Ding K-H, a solution to this is the function
[tex]\phi(\vec{r})=J_n\left(k_\rho \rho\right)\,e^{i\left(n \varphi+k_z z\right)},[/tex]where [itex]k^2=k_\rho^2+k_z^2[/itex], [itex]n\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex], and [itex]J_n[/itex] is the first-kind Bessel function of the [itex]n[/itex]-th order.

I know very little about Bessel functions. I do know, however, that
[tex]J_n(x)=\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^m}{m!\,\Gamma(m+n+1)}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)^{2m+n},[/tex]which, by writing [itex]\Gamma(m+n+1)[/itex] explicitly, becomes[tex]J_n(x)=\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^m}{m!\,\int_0^{\infty} t^{m+n}\,e^{-t}\,dt}\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)^{2m+n}.[/tex]I also know that
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}J_n(x)=\frac{1}{2}\left[J_{n-1}(x)-J_{n+1}(x)\right].[/tex]
So I set out to prove that this is indeed a solution to the wave equation in cylindrical coordinates. However, I didn't get very far. Here's what I did:
[tex]\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial\rho}=\frac{k_\rho}{2}\left[J_{n-1}(k_\rho \rho)-J_{n+1}(k_\rho \rho)\right]\,e^{i\,(n \varphi+k_z z)}[/tex][itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][tex]\left(\nabla^2+k^2\right)\,\phi=\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial \rho}\left[\frac{k_\rho \rho}{2}J_{n-1}(k_\rho \rho)-\frac{k_\rho \rho}{2}J_{n+1}(k_\rho \rho)\right]\,e^{i\,(n \varphi+k_z z)}-\left(\frac{n^2}{\rho^2}+k_z^2\right)\,J_n(k_\rho \rho)\,e^{i\,(n \varphi+k_z z)}[/tex][itex]\Rightarrow[/itex][tex]\left(\nabla^2+k^2\right)\,\phi=\left[\frac{k_\rho^2}{4}J_{n-2}(k_\rho \rho)+\frac{k_\rho}{2\rho}J_{n-1}(k_\rho \rho)-\left(\frac{k_\rho^2}{2}+k_z^2+\frac{n^2}{\rho^2}\right)\,J_n(k_\rho \rho)-\frac{k_\rho}{2\rho}J_{n+1}(k_\rho \rho)-\frac{k_\rho^2}{4}J_{n+2}(k_\rho \rho)\right]\,e^{i\,(n \varphi+k_z z)}.[/tex]However, I don't know where to go from here.

If I do
[tex]\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial\rho}=\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^m}{m!\,\int_0^{\infty} t^{m+n}\,e^{-t}\,dt}\left(\frac{k_\rho}{2}\right)^{2m+n}\,(2m+n)\,\rho^{2m+n-1}\,e^{i\,(n \varphi+k_z z)},[/tex]I get stuck as well.

How should I approach the problem of proving that the above function [itex]\phi(\vec{r})[/itex] is a solution to the wave equation in cylindrical coordinates?

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The solutions to the differential equation

[itex]x^2 \frac{d^2 y}{d x^2}+ x \frac{d y}{d x} + (x^2-n^2) y = 0 [/itex]

are [itex] J_n (x) [/itex] and [itex] Y_n (x) [/itex].

You can also rewrite the Bessel Differential Equation as

[itex] \frac{d^2 y}{d x^2}+ \frac{1}{x} \frac{d y}{d x} + (1-\frac{n^2}{x^2}) y = 0 [/itex].

Evaluate the derivatives of [itex] \phi [/itex] and [itex] z [/itex] first, then try and rewrite the resulting differential equation in [itex] r [/itex] in the above form.

Hey! Thanks for your help.

All right, I have
[tex]\phi(\vec{r})=R(\rho)\,\Phi(\varphi)\,Z(z),[/tex]where
[tex]R(\rho)=J_n(k_\rho\rho),[/tex][tex]\Phi(\varphi)=e^{in\varphi},[/tex][tex]Z(z)=e^{ik_zz}.[/tex]
Therefore,
[tex]\frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial\varphi^2}=-\frac{n^2}{\rho^2}\phi,[/tex][tex]\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial z^2}=-k_z^2\,\phi,[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial\rho}\left(\rho\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial\rho}\right)=\frac{1}{\rho}\frac{\partial (k_\rho\rho)}{\partial\rho}\frac{\partial}{\partial(k_\rho\rho)} \left(\rho \frac{\partial(k_\rho\rho)}{\partial\rho}\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial(k_\rho\rho)}\right)=k_\rho^2\frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial(k_\rho\rho)^2}+ \frac{k_\rho}{\rho} \frac{\partial\phi}{\partial(k_\rho\rho)}.[/tex]
Putting all three together, I get
[tex]\left[k_\rho^2\frac{d^2R}{d(k_\rho\rho)^2}+\frac{k_\rho}{\rho}\frac{dR}{d (k_\rho \rho)}\right]\,\Phi\,Z+R\frac{1}{\rho^2}\frac{d^2\Phi}{d\varphi^2}Z+R\,\Phi\frac{d^2Z}{dz^2}=\left[k_\rho^2\frac{d^2R}{d(k_\rho\rho)^2}+\frac{k_\rho}{\rho}\frac{dR}{d (k_\rho \rho)}\right]\,\Phi\,Z-\left[\frac{n^2}{\rho^2}+k_z^2\right]\,R\,\Phi\,Z=0.[/tex]
Let [itex]x:=k_\rho\rho[/itex]. Since [itex]\Phi(\varphi)[/itex] and [itex]Z(z)[/itex] are never zero and [itex]k_\rho\neq0[/itex], I may divide everything by [itex]k_\rho^2\,\Phi\,Z[/itex]:
[tex]\frac{d^2R}{dx^2}+\frac{1}{x}\frac{dR}{dx}-\left[\frac{n^2}{x^2}+\frac{k_z^2}{k_\rho^2}\right]\,R=0.[/tex]
Comparing this with the equation you provided, [itex]R(x)=J_n(x)[/itex] only if [itex]k_z^2/k_\rho^2=-1[/itex], which is a really strange condition to impose on [itex]k[/itex] (recall that [itex]k^2=k_\rho^2+k_z^2[/itex]; if I impose [itex]k_z^2/k_\rho^2=-1[/itex], then [itex]k^2=k_\rho^2-k_\rho^2=0[/itex], which is surely very silly).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again.

You left out the [itex]k ^2 \phi[/itex] term in the equation
[itex](\nabla ^2+k^2) \phi =0[/itex]

But of course!

So
[tex]\left[k_\rho^2\frac{d^2R}{d(k_\rho\rho)^2}+\frac{k_\rho}{\rho}\frac{dR}{d (k_\rho \rho)}\right]\,\Phi\,Z-\left[\frac{n^2}{\rho^2}+k_z^2\right]\,R\,\Phi\,Z+\left(k_\rho^2+k_z^2\right)\,R\,\Phi\,Z=0;[/tex]dividing by [itex]k+\rho^2\,\Phi\,Z[/itex],
[tex]\frac{d^2R}{dx^2}+\frac{1}{x}\frac{dR}{dx}-\left[\frac{n^2}{x^2}+\frac{k_z^2}{k_\rho^2}-\frac{k_\rho^2+k_z^2}{k_\rho^2}\right]\,R=\frac{d^2R}{dx^2}+\frac{1}{x}\frac{dR}{dx}+\left[1-\frac{n^2}{x^2}\right]\,R=0,[/tex]which is the Bessel differential equation.

I completely forgot about that [itex]k^2[/itex] in the original wave equation. Thanks for pointing it out!

Related to Solution to the scalar wave equation in cylindrical coordinates

1. What is the scalar wave equation in cylindrical coordinates?

The scalar wave equation in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical equation that describes the propagation of scalar waves in cylindrical coordinates. It is a partial differential equation that relates the second time derivative of a scalar field to its spatial derivatives.

2. What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a coordinate system used to describe points in three-dimensional space. They consist of a radial distance, an azimuthal angle, and a height or vertical distance from a reference plane. This coordinate system is often used in problems with cylindrical symmetry, such as those involving cylinders or circular objects.

3. How is the scalar wave equation derived in cylindrical coordinates?

The scalar wave equation in cylindrical coordinates is derived from the general wave equation, which describes the propagation of any type of wave. The cylindrical coordinates are substituted into the general wave equation, resulting in a simplified form that takes into account the cylindrical symmetry of the problem.

4. What is the solution to the scalar wave equation in cylindrical coordinates?

The solution to the scalar wave equation in cylindrical coordinates is a function that satisfies the equation and describes the behavior of the scalar field in the cylindrical coordinate system. The solution is typically a combination of trigonometric and exponential functions, and it depends on the specific boundary conditions and initial conditions of the problem.

5. What are the applications of the scalar wave equation in cylindrical coordinates?

The scalar wave equation in cylindrical coordinates has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is commonly used to model the behavior of sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and other types of waves in cylindrical systems. It is also used in the study of cylindrical structures, such as pipes, antennas, and optical fibers.