Solution to an ODE using Power Series Method

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the equation xy'-(x+2)y=-2x2-2x using the power series method. It is suggested to divide both sides by x to get an equation in the form of \frac{dy}{dx} + p(x) y = q(x), which can then be solved using an integrating factor. However, the assignment requires the solution to be obtained using the power series method, which involves writing y as a power series.
eden2291

Homework Statement

xy'-(x+2)y=-2x2-2x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm clueless as to how to solve this as I'm only experienced in using the power series method with homogenous ODE's. Even if I make this homogenous, I don't know what to do with the x-variables that are not attached to some y-variable.

Thanks you so much for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend dividing both sides of the equation by x, whereupon you will then get an equation in this form:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} + p(x) y = q(x)[/tex]

Which you can then solve using an integrating factor.

dextercioby said:
Do you know what the power series method means ? (The ODE can be integrated directly using an integrating factor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrating_factor).

I do. And I know it can be solved using an integrating factor, but the directions for the assignment explicitly state that the solution must be obtained using the power series method.

First step, write y as a power series...

Related to Solution to an ODE using Power Series Method

1. What is the Power Series Method for solving ODEs?

The Power Series Method is a technique for solving ordinary differential equations (ODEs) by representing the solution as a series of terms with increasing powers of the independent variable. It is particularly useful for solving ODEs with non-constant coefficients.

2. When is the Power Series Method most useful?

The Power Series Method is most useful for solving ODEs that cannot be solved using other techniques, such as separation of variables or the method of undetermined coefficients. It is also beneficial when the coefficients of the ODE are difficult to work with or when the ODE has an irregular singularity.

3. What are the steps involved in using the Power Series Method?

The steps for using the Power Series Method to solve an ODE are:
1. Write the ODE in standard form, with the dependent variable and its derivatives on one side and a function of the independent variable on the other side.
2. Assume a solution in the form of a power series and substitute it into the ODE.
3. Equate coefficients of like powers of the independent variable to get a recurrence relation.
4. Use the initial condition(s) to determine the values of the undetermined coefficients.
5. Use the recurrence relation to find the remaining coefficients.
6. Write the solution as a power series and simplify, if possible.

4. What are the advantages of using the Power Series Method?

The Power Series Method allows for the solution of ODEs that cannot be solved by other methods. It also provides a more accurate solution compared to numerical methods, as it gives an exact solution rather than an approximation. Additionally, it allows for solutions to be expressed in terms of familiar functions, making them easier to interpret and work with.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Power Series Method?

The Power Series Method is limited to solving ODEs that can be written in the form of a power series. It also requires some knowledge of Taylor series and series manipulation. Additionally, the convergence of the series may be an issue, especially near singular points, so it is important to check the radius of convergence of the series solution.