Solution for the exact pendulum

• Thread starter Saptarshi Sarkar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a formula involving the coefficient of ##cos\theta## and the use of negative or positive square root. The participants agree that the book's expression is incorrect and that the formula should use the negative square root. They also mention that theta is decreasing with time, with a minus sign prevailing at all times.
Saptarshi Sarkar
Homework Statement
Show that the solution of the exact pendulum equation
can be written in the given form
Relevant Equations
##\ddot \theta = -\frac{g}{l}sin\theta##
##t = \int d\theta \frac {1}{\sqrt{A-\omega^2 cos\theta}}##
The question is

1583505635525.png

My attempt is given below

_.jpg

I am not sure what to do now. I don't understand how I can make the coefficient of ##cos\theta## negative.

Attachments

• 1583505614004.png
    1583505614004.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 152
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Saptarshi,

I suspect you don't have to. Your derivation seems correct to me and agrees with what we see here

Moreover, usually ##\ \theta \le \theta_0\, , \ ## so ##\ \cos\theta \ge \cos\theta_0\ ## and the square root is real.

I think the book expression is wrong and yours is right.

• Informative
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
BvU said:
Hello Saptarshi,

I suspect you don't have to. Your derivation seems correct to me and agrees with what we see here

Moreover, usually ##\ \theta \le \theta_0\, , \ ## so ##\ \cos\theta \ge \cos\theta_0\ ## and the square root is real.

I think the book expression is wrong and yours is right.
In addition to this, I think the OP should have chosen the negative square root, rather than the positive. theta is decreasing with time.

• Informative
Likes Saptarshi Sarkar
Chestermiller said:
theta is decreasing with time
Only half the time.

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar and Chestermiller
Thanks. I guess I should have added "initially." However, the minus sign prevails at all the times.

Likes Saptarshi Sarkar

Related to Solution for the exact pendulum

1. How does the exact pendulum solution differ from the simple pendulum solution?

The exact pendulum solution takes into account the non-linear nature of the pendulum's motion, while the simple pendulum solution assumes a linear relationship between displacement and restoring force.

2. What factors affect the period of the exact pendulum?

The period of the exact pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the amplitude of its oscillation, and the gravitational acceleration at its location.

3. Can the exact pendulum solution be used for any type of pendulum?

No, the exact pendulum solution is only applicable to pendulums that have small amplitudes of oscillation and are not affected by air resistance or other external forces.

4. How accurate is the exact pendulum solution?

The exact pendulum solution is highly accurate for small amplitudes of oscillation, but the accuracy decreases as the amplitude increases due to the non-linear nature of the motion.

5. Can the exact pendulum solution be used to predict the motion of a pendulum over a long period of time?

No, the exact pendulum solution is only valid for short periods of time, as it does not take into account factors such as energy loss due to friction or air resistance.