Solids of revolution - What if the axis crosses the volume?

In summary, the problem is to find the volume of the solid generated when the area bounded by the functions y=x^3 and y=4x is rotated along the line y=4. The points of intersection of the two functions are x=-2, 0, and 2. The axis of rotation passes through the region, making it necessary to split the integral into two parts. However, there may be a misprint in the problem and the function y=x^2 may have been intended instead. In this case, the volume can be found by rotating one area above the line and one area below the line, and then mirroring one area over the other to take the line as a pivot.
Jani08

Homework Statement

Here is the problem :

Find the volume of the solid generated when the area bounded between the following functions rotates along the y=4 line.

Functions: y=x^3 y=4x

Homework Equations

Functions: y=x^3 y=4x
Axis of rotation: y=4

The Attempt at a Solution

Points of intersection are x=-2,0,2
I tried making 2 integrals from -2 to 0 and 0 to 2, but I just ended up with a negative volume.
What I don't understand is that the axis of rotation crosses the area bounded these two lines make. How do I go about this? Never encountered thissituation. Maybe I am setting up the problem wrong...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The curves do not intersect when x = -2. Show us your integral. Did you draw a picture?

Oh I am sorry it is y=x^3 not y=x^2, yeah I drew a picture but haven't scanned it.

If the function is in fact x3, you are correct that the axis of rotation passes through the region. I suspect a misprint in your text because of that. In fact, the problem would make perfect sense if the function was x2, which is certainly a likely candidate for what the problem was supposed to be, especially given the limits and the axis of rotation you have.

I agree with LCK, but what if we wanted to go on with the original problem ?
The volume would be the union of the two volumes separately generated by the two areas (above and below the line).
Then I'd mirror one area over the other taking the line as pivot, then make the union of the areas and proceed with rotation

Related to Solids of revolution - What if the axis crosses the volume?

What are solids of revolution?

Solids of revolution are three-dimensional shapes created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. This results in a circular or cylindrical shape.

What is the axis of a solid of revolution?

The axis of a solid of revolution is the line around which the two-dimensional shape is rotated to create the three-dimensional shape. It can be any line passing through the shape's center of mass.

What happens if the axis of a solid of revolution passes through the volume?

If the axis of a solid of revolution passes through the volume, it creates a hole or void in the center of the shape. This can result in a unique and interesting shape, such as a donut or a ring.

How does the position of the axis affect the shape of a solid of revolution?

The position of the axis can greatly affect the resulting shape of a solid of revolution. If the axis is closer to the edge of the two-dimensional shape, the resulting solid will be taller and thinner. If the axis is closer to the center of the shape, the resulting solid will be shorter and wider.

Are there any real-life applications of solids of revolution?

Yes, solids of revolution have many real-life applications, including in engineering, architecture, and manufacturing. For example, pipes, bottles, and wheels are all examples of solids of revolution. They are also used in mathematical models and simulations to study various physical phenomena.